Where is the symmetry in group theory
Symmetry and Group Theory (CH3337)
Note: Registration for the lecture via TUMonline is mandatory. The first lecture with a preliminary discussion will take place on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 at 11:15 a.m. online and synchronously.
After the course, the students know the mathematical fundamentals and tools of group theory necessary for symmetry considerations. You can use these independently to simplify and solve problems from various areas of chemistry and quantum mechanics after having worked through the exercises. The most important application examples of symmetry and group theory in chemistry will be known to the participants after attending the lecture.
1. Basics of group theory 2. Molecular symmetry and symmetry groups 3. Representation of groups 4. Symmetry and quantum mechanics 5. MO theory and symmetry in inorganic and organic chemistry 6. Ligand field theory and spectroscopy 7. Molecular vibrations 8. Solid state and crystal symmetry
The content of the lectures on mathematics, quantum mechanics and theoretical chemistry from the Bachelor's degree in chemistry at TUM should be mastered. This includes, in particular, linear algebra, simple concepts of molecular structure and symmetry, the basics of spectroscopy, the basics of quantum mechanics and its computational methods, and the theory of chemical bonds.
Teaching and learning methods
Lecture with exercises and homework In the exercise groups, the material dealt with in the lecture is practically worked out with the tutors using simple tasks. The practiced techniques are then deepened and consolidated in homework. The tasks and additional material are made available via the TUM eLearning platform. Lecture dates: Tue 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., online (see Moodle) Exercises: Wed 2 p.m. - 3 p.m., online (see Moodle)
FA. Cotton, Chemical Applications of Group Theory
- What's the spanish word for idiot
- Which artist originally sang wild horses?
- Are TOMS shoes really ethical?
- Why were the British afraid of marathas?
- Are your relatives very helpful to you
- What are the important rules of Concord
- Indian marriage is a social trap
- What kind of wood smells like
- The US presidency is too powerful
- How unusual are male midwives
- Who coined the term Silicon Alley?
- Long hair affects your health
- You can change your signature several times
- Will BTS ever meet Billie Eilish
- What is Batman doing
- Should I drop AP chemistry
- 1 GB of RAM is enough to run Marshmallow
- Why was the internet invented
- Which broker do you recommend
- What religion would an ex-Muslim follow?
- What do you think conservative means
- Is OLED worth the money
- What are the best things about KV
- Count internal links as backlinks