White people like funk music
Soul legend : James Brown laid out in the Apollo Theater
New York - "The King is dead. Long live the King," said a cardboard sign that an admirer of Brown held up in the crowd at the Apollo Theater. In the concert hall, where his career began in 1956, the late singer was laid out so that his followers could say goodbye to him. Long beats formed in front of the Apollo in the early hours of the morning.
The funeral procession crossed Harlem around noon. Brown's body was laid out on a white carriage, drawn by white horses, surrounded by the crowd. When the train arrived at the Apollo Theater, people were singing Brown's lyrics. Stuart Gray, a 47-year-old engineer, had been waiting outside the concert hall since early that morning. "I'm a kid of funk music," he explained. "James Brown was a pioneer. He wasn't a songwriter, he was an inventor. Everyone has imitated him."
64-year-old Queen McFarland first saw Brown in 1956, in a local music store. "He's our black Elvis Presley. I'm here to thank him," she enthused. "He gave us pride, he told us blacks had to be proud," she added. Another Brown fan, Hampton Gould, smiled when he saw the lines in front of the Apollo: "It reminds me of the lines in front of the Apollo for James Brown's concerts. Look at the line today: He's walking the same Way he came. "
Funeral in Georgia
Brown is slated to be buried in his hometown of Augusta, Georgia, on Saturday. A large public ceremony in Brown's honor is planned for Saturday in the Augusta Congress Palace named after him. Thousands of fans are expected here too. Before the big public celebration, Brown's family will say goodbye in a private ceremony on Friday. The soul star died on Monday at the age of 73 in an Atlanta, Georgia hospital after suffering from pneumonia of heart failure.
In 1956 Brown had his first big hit with "Please, Please, Please". He achieved worldwide fame in the 1960s with pieces such as "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag", "It's A Man's World" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)". "Sex Machine" followed in 1970. In total, the musician released more than 75 albums. Brown came into conflict with the law as a teenager, making headlines with drug trafficking and domestic violence, among other things. In 1988 he was sentenced to six years in prison, was released prematurely after two and a half years, and was soon back on stage. His tour schedule was full and planned for concerts in Europe again for the coming year. (tso / AFP)
- How do pirates communicate with each other
- What is the national sport of Fiji
- How do I install the IceCat web browser
- What does RAC7 RAC7
- Most websites really need HTTPS
- How much do photo editing programs cost
- Why doesn't Google Dart integrate with Chrome
- Is trophy hunting illegal in the US?
- Can we use parseChar like parseInt
- How do I get attention on Twitter
- What is period blood made of
- Keep cats away from ghosts
- How do I start using Course Hero
- Which airports have the nicest names?
- What is testimony
- Are skin creams nutrition for the skin
- How to increase the learning capacity of the brain
- Quora has its own jargon
- What is a Mormon sacrament meeting
- What does tortazo mean in Spanish
- The new AirPods are charged wirelessly
- How is NIMC for the study of mass communication
- Are bryophytes pteridophytes and gymnosperms archegoniate plants
- What is a pre-lotion