What makes a bad therapist
With psychotherapy, problems can get bigger instead of smaller
Psychotherapy helps many people quickly out of the crisis with emotional distress. But like any drug that works, visiting a psychotherapist also carries risks. Five to ten percent of those seeking help do not feel better as they hoped for therapy - their condition worsens. At least that is what studies have shown that deal with the dark side of psychotherapy.
"As with drug therapies, there are also certain risks and sometimes side effects in psychotherapy," confirms Jürgen Margraf, President of the German Society for Psychotherapy. But: Those who seek treatment can observe a few things in order to keep the risk of such side effects small.
Sven Barnow has examined how psychotherapy works and why it sometimes leads to undesirable side effects. He is a professor at the Institute for Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy at the University of Heidelberg and emphasizes: "Therapy is fundamentally sensible and in many cases highly effective." If it does not work or does not work as intended, it can be due to the patient as well as the therapist, according to him.
When therapist and patient just don't go together
It could be, for example, that the patient has a disease for which the chosen therapy is not the right treatment at all. But maybe the therapist is not well trained, he lacks the necessary empathy or he shows no real interest in his patient.
What also happens: a "mismatching" between therapist and patient. That means the two don't go together. Barnow generally advises trusting your own gut instinct: the chemistry between patient and therapist has to be right.
- What are some emotional US TV series
- Are there any good internships at CIT
- Eats a sin
- Where do subatomic particles come from?
- 73 is a revered number
- What are the La Tomatina rules
- What does Spoon University mean
- Can be made cheesecake without gelatine
- Where can you learn general science
- Have you ever cursed god
- What are some poems about frustration
- What if you accidentally swallow Saran Wrap
- Why is brushing your teeth important
- What is Moz's Spam Score
- Why are Thailand commercials so powerful
- Which e-commerce platform does Overstock com
- What is meant by currency devaluation
- What is the present continuous
- Where can I find cool English teachers
- How safe are google forms
- Has Jio Sim been extended
- How does wisdom capital compare to Zerodha
- Believe in a victim mentality
- What are some uses for copper