Why the DNA is long
How long is a strand of DNA?
The length of a DNA strand differs very strongly from organism to organism, but only in an extraordinary sense, because the differences in DNA length from person to person are only insignificant and practically negligible.
If you were to untwist the double strand of DNA from any human cell and hold a single strand against a tape measure, you would get an incredible length of approx. 2m. This length is primarily made possible by the winding helix structure, through which an enormous number of base sequences can be implemented in a very small space (only 2.5 nanometers). The human genome consists of around three billion base pairs, of which only 5% are coding DNA. Conversely, this means that 95% of our DNA is not responsible for the expression of the characteristics. The function of the non-coding deoxyribonucleic acid is not yet known. Conjectures range from "remnants" from evolution to possible gene structures that can be switched on / off. Scientists largely agree that this huge number of genes may at least not be completely useless and serve a previously unknown purpose.
In addition, the total length of the DNA says nothing about the complexity or intelligence of the living being. Some newt species have a significantly longer DNA compared to humans.
Each person is roughly the product of 100 trillion cells, about 25% of which are blood cells and therefore do not have a nucleus of their own. Extrapolated for the length of the DNA, this would mean that a person has a DNA that is 150 billion kilometers in a row. This is roughly a thousand times the distance from the earth to the sun. This example clearly illustrates the complexity of genetics.
- Why is K Pop a thing now
- Which country has the highest paid athletes
- Is guest blogging good for SEO
- Why do I keep wetting myself
- How do I stop obsessive negative thoughts
- How similar is it to being stunned in order to sleep?
- Should I join Aricent or Temenos?
- What is good in childish cheerfulness
- When will Facebook buy Quora
- What happened when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor
- What was my EIN at Dravo Corporation
- What is a BA ASPSM ECO course
- What is a good recipe for fresh artichokes
- Are there any jobs in West Bengal?
- Can I recycle used car fuses?
- How powerful is our bad habit
- Failure individuals in ISC
- What's the wrong way to be successful
- How big is Amazon really
- What is a flea musician known for?
- Is Quora censored in its responses
- Can I dilute liquid acrylic?
- Where are NYC criminals locked up
- Do your parents know that you masturbate