What is the GitHub Arctic Code Vault
Github stores software code in eternal ice on Svalbard (update)
A disused coal mine is located quite close to the North Pole. Github wants to store the open source code in it for at least 1000 years. Update: The deadline for the snapshot has passed.
Update: February 2, 2020 was the deadline for backing up the open source software for the Github Arctic Code Vault project. On this day, Github backed up all active public Github repositories with a snapshot so that they can be stored in the archive - the Arctic Code Vault - in a disused coal mine on Svalbard 250 meters deep in permafrost for the next few centuries. Update end
Github, a well-known online storage / filehoster for software projects, wants to preserve the source code of open source programs in the long term. Github is working with various partners on this Github Archive Program. This is intended to preserve open source software for future generations and later historians.
For this purpose, Github has rented storage space in a disused coal mine, the so-called Grube 3, in the Norwegian town of Spitzbergen (Svalbard). The former coal mine is located in the permafrost area and comparatively close to the North Pole.
Github wants to start long-term archiving of the source code of the open source software managed on Github (i.e. the entire code that is in an active public repository) on February 2, 2020. Github has the code saved on polyester films coated with silver halides, as Spiegel Online writes. The code secured in this way, which incidentally also includes the Linux and Android operating systems, should be able to survive on these films for at least 1000 years. The films are deposited in a steel-jacketed container. The container, in turn, stands in a sealed chamber 250 meters below the surface of the earth.
Github is not the first customer to use Norwegian long-term storage deep in the permafrost. In "Grube 3" there are already documents from the Vatican, Italian films and the recipe for the sauce of a burger chain, as Bloomberg writes. Bloomberg also publishes some photos showing the coal mine and its container.
Microsoft took over Github in June 2018.
Microsoft stores Superman film on quartz glass
- How many acres are in North Dakota
- What are some shocking facts about smoking
- There is evidence of alternative medicine
- Will my section be changed to KIIT
- What is operator overloading in Python
- Can I earn money with garbage container diving?
- When does the wind speed increase the air pressure
- We could make an artificial species
- How many people break an ankle
- Are cockroaches living fossils
- What is a 400 day clock
- What are the consequences of media manipulation?
- Is in JIIT? 128 uniformly prescribed
- Where can I get free icons
- Which state gym is there in Rajkot
- Can aerospace engineers do Masters in Mechatronics
- How did you know that you are not binary
- Why did someone make up homework
- Why do young people like to hike?
- How important is self-sufficiency in Mormonism
- Which is an interesting place in Chandigarh
- What is the strongest base in chemistry
- There's Chase Banks in North Carolina
- What is the chance of MSW
- Hated Brutus Caesar
- What is Rajasthan Yatra Udaipur Tour Operator
- What does a lavender aura mean
- What doesn't get enough hate
- Who is responsible for misunderstandings from people
- What is spatial expansion
- Are songwriters sufficiently valued
- Why is it important to study yourself
- Why is stop motion still alive?
- Who invented injection molding?