In the Middle Ages, people were more immature
Soul then and now: The Psychology of the Middle Ages
There were both differences and similarities between the psyche of our ancestors in the Middle Ages and ours today.
To determine differences, psychologists and historians use an ethnological approach: They ask how today's cultures differ cognitively and emotionally.
There is strong evidence that culture shapes some basic ways people think and perceive and how they experience and express feelings. There could be similar differences to the culturally "distant" Middle Ages.
When memory itself loses something, as it happens when we forget something and when we try to remember it again, where else than in memory do we look then? And if something other than what we are looking for is presented to us there, we reject it until we find what we are looking for. And if we find it, then we say: "There it is"; we wouldn't say it if we didn't know, and we wouldn't know if we didn't remember. But we had forgotten! Or was it not completely forgotten, but rather a part of it remained in our memories [...]? This is what happens when we see a known person in front of our eyes or imagine ourselves in our minds, but cannot remember his or her name, which we have forgotten.
What Church Father Augustine von Hippo (354-430) describes in his "Confessions" should be familiar to anyone who has ever met an acquaintance on the street and couldn't remember his name: the amazement that he correct name doesn't come to mind - but we can say with certainty whether the possibilities that come to mind are right or wrong. So we still know the name, but we cannot recall it from memory. Despite its proud age of around 1600 years, the text therefore seems quite modern from a psychological perspective ...
This article is contained in Brain & Mind 7/2018
- Personal Networking What is Nating
- Why are American math textbooks so big
- How can I ask someone for forgiveness
- When does the wind speed increase the air pressure
- What are the health benefits of flavonoids
- Who is the best TV lawyer
- How badly did you hit the medical faculty
- Why beauty surgeries are good
- How much turbulence can an airplane withstand
- Why do I waste time studying?
- Can refugees start businesses here in Germany?
- What especially made old televisions superfluous
- How many prongs does Hume's fork have
- Where can I find angels
- What is Strstr in PHP
- Is there a human construct
- What's new in garbage collection
- How to make nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide
- BDS courses are easier than MBBS
- What would happen if Cupid existed?
- What is the Airbnb host demographics like
- How is the college at Manipal University
- Why do so many people confuse synonyms
- Are all legal acts of violence ethical
- How much is 0 in 5 million
- Is it a placebo effect to get pregnant?
- How did Simon Says come about
- What is the electronic configuration of silver?
- Where can I buy Chinese paintings online
- What is the present continuous
- What is the risk of radiation
- Does the lionfish have any predators?
- Pit bull is banned in India
- What tests the life cycle in automation