Alexa picks you up
What can Alexa do? Ultimate list of Alexa commands & functions Alexa commands: The 303 most important voice commands for Alexa
Amazon's voice assistant only unfolds its full potential with the right Alexa voice commands. Using practical examples in a list of all the funny and important Alexa commands, we show how you can use the Amazon Echo or Echo Dot to create calendar entries, check news, play music or audio books and control smart home devices. In addition, we reveal some particularly practical Alexa functions and features that we like to use again and again in our years of tests and present what Alexa can do. In summary, at the end of the article you will find a complete list of all important Alexa commands for download.
Amazon Echo: Alexa commands and functions at a glance
If you don't know the multitude of Alexa functions, you can't use them either. That is why we have compiled all the important Alexa voice commands and explain how they can be used to master everyday challenges, from choosing clothes to appointment management and homework support to recreational sports. With our Alexa commands, so many everyday situations can be mastered more relaxed and you can use many Alexa functions. Benefit from our many years of expert knowledge and find out which voice commands can most increase the comfort in your personal smart home.
Get the day off to a good start with the Alexa Sleep Timer
When the alarm goes off early in the morning, some early risers go fishing for the switch-off button, very sleepy. If, on the other hand, you have set your alarm clock via Alexa voice control, you can simply switch off the alarm or activate the snooze function when you call. The following voice commands show how this works:
Set up Alexa sleep timer with voice commands:
- "Alexa, wake me up with 'Good morning sunshine'."
- "Alexa, wake me up tomorrow at 6:30 am."
- "Alexa, set the alarm clock to 7:00 am."
- "Alexa, set the weekend alarm clock to 9:45 am."
- "Alexa, set a repeated alarm for every Monday at 7:00 am."
Create and operate music alarm clocks with Alexa commands
- "Alexa, wake me up with motivational music at 5:30 a.m."
- "Alexa, wake me up at 6 a.m. with Mark Forster."
- "Alexa, wake me up at 7:15 a.m. with music to get up."
- "Alexa, wake me up at 7:30 a.m. with the playlist 'Beats for Motivation". "(Exclusively for Amazon Music subscribers)
- "Alexa, wake me up at 10 a.m. to an Amazon Music pop radio station."
- "Alexa, I'm free tomorrow. Wake me up at 11 o'clock in the morning with relaxation music. "
- "Alexa, stop playing music in 20 minutes."
This is how wake-up times can be changed or deleted using Alexa commands:
- "Alexa, cancel the alarm for 7:00 am."
- "Alexa, clear my alarm clock for Sunday."
- "Alexa, what time is my alarm set?"
- "Alexa, I want to go back to sleep. Set the timer for 10 minutes. "
- "Alexa, how much time is left on my timer?"
- "Alexa, which alarm clocks are set for tomorrow?"
- "Alexa, stop / snooze."
- "Alexa, end the sleep timer."
- "Alexa, what time is it right now?"
- "Alexa, what is today's date?"
Adjust timer or alarm volume with Alexa voice commands
- "Alexa, stop."
- "Alexa, quieter."
- "Alexa, louder."
- "Alexa, volume [1 to 10]."
- "Alexa, cancel."
- "Alexa, repeat."
- "Alexa, sound on."
- "Alexa, mute the sound."
Use multiple (kitchen) timers at the same time via Alexa voice commands
The preparation of a more common menu or a DIY project whose individual components have to dry for different lengths of time - there are very different reasons for using multiple timers. That's how it's done:
Voice commands for creating and editing the timer function:
- "Alexa, set a timer for 10 minutes."
- "Alexa, cancel the timer for 5 minutes." (when multiple timers have been set up)
- "Alexa, which timers are set."
- "Alexa, which timers are running?"
- Our How-To Alexa: Set and manage timers provides further tips.
Alexa voice commands for creating shopping lists and cooking
Regardless of whether you are still looking for a cooking idea for lunch or are already planning your next purchase. Alexa is happy to help and can even have ingredients for a delicious raclette delivered directly to the house.
Find the right wine, cocktail recipe or baking ideas with Alexa Skills
The smart voice assistant from Amazon can call up expert knowledge on hundreds of topics via Alexa Skills. The skills can be activated free of charge in the Amazon Store and then provide topic-specific information. We present five of them here as examples. We have summarized all the important skills here: Alexa Skills: An overview of the best free Echo features
Clarify knowledge questions and receive preparation tips with Alexa commands
- "Alexa, how many calories does an avocado have?"
- "Alexa, find me a recipe with apples."
- "Alexa, what's the recipe of the day?"
- "Alexa, do you have any ideas for a picnic?"
- "Alexa, do the dishes!"
Order commands online via an Amazon Premium account and Alexa
- "Alexa, buy ravioli."
- "Alexa, order kitchen paper and cleaning products from the brand [...]."
- "Alexa, order printer cartridges again."
- "Alexa, I want to buy white sports socks in size 44."
- "Alexa, add another Echo Dot to my shopping cart." (stores the article in your own Amazon account)
- "Alexa, what's on my shopping list?"
- "Alexa, where is my order?"
More information can be found in the following how-tos:
Shopping with Amazon's Alexa - that's how it works
Amazon Echo provides variety in the kitchen
This is how you can cancel orders via Alexa
Alexa commands for controlling household appliances in the smart home
One of the greatest advantages of a smart speaker with voice control is that it can coordinate numerous other networked components. Once the Amazon Echo loudspeaker has been set up, voice commands can be used to operate smart lamps, heating thermostats, lawn mowers, vacuum robots or even washing machines and dishwashers. Our overview of all products that can be controlled by Alexa shows which devices this is possible with.
Alexa voice commands for controlling household appliances
- "Alexa, find all of my devices."
- "Alexa, dim the light in the hallway to 30 percent."
- "Alexa, switch the fan to 50 percent."
- "Alexa, turn on the light in the bathroom."
- "Alexa, set the living room light to warm white."
- "Alexa, turn on the coffee machine."
- "Alexa, turn on the exterior decoration." (especially practical with Christmas decorations)
- "Alexa, set the living room thermostats to 22 degrees."
- "Alexa, lower the temperature in the bedroom by 3 degrees."
- "Alexa, turn off the light in the kitchen."
- "Alexa, send Roomba to vacuum."
Alexa commands for smart home configuration
- "Alexa, what are smart home groups?"
- "Alexa, how do I create a routine for Echo Buttons?"
- "Alexa, search for my devices."
- "Alexa, how can I create my own answers for you?"
Receive weather and traffic information, sports news and news via Alexa
Time is usually tight in the morning, so Alexa's news function is a great way to make the right decisions quickly. While we're still wondering what to wear today in front of the wardrobe, Alexa already knows what the weather will be like. It can even indicate whether a buffer should be planned for the way to work due to the risk of congestion or whether there is still time for a second coffee. The weather or traffic jam service can be activated or the news can be called up with the following voice commands. Of course, the time and place information can be varied as required.
With the AlexaWeather service always appropriately dressed:
- "Alexa, what's the weather like?"
- "Alexa, will it rain tomorrow?"
- "Alexa, what is the extended forecast for Berlin?"
- "Alexa, how is the weather going to be in Hamburg this weekend?"
- "Alexa, do I have to take an umbrella with me today?"
- "Will it snow on Monday?"
- "Alexa, will it be sunny on Tuesday?"
MessagechtListen to commands via Alexa
- "Alexa, what's my daily summary?"
- "Alexa, what's my update?"
- "Alexa, activate BILD."
- "Alexa, what's new?"
- "Alexa, how is the DAX doing?"
- "Alexa, was the Euro Jackpot cracked?"
- "Alexa, tell me the lottery numbers."
- "Alexa, give me my horoscope."
- "Alexa, what is the Siemens share price?"
- "Alexa, how is the Bitcoin rate?"
- Further information and test videos can be found here: The best Alexa messaging skills
Alexa voice commands for traffic information and route planning
Never get stuck in a traffic jam again - that would be nice. Unfortunately, Alexa cannot do magic, but at least she reveals when and where slow traffic is to be expected and helps to avoid the traffic jam.
- "Alexa, how is my way to work?" (Further data required)
- "Alexa, what's my commute time?" (Further data required)
- "Alexa, how is the traffic situation at the moment?"
- "Alexa, how is the traffic in Stuttgart?"
- "Alexa, how far is it to Munich?"
- "Alexa, how far is it from Dresden to Berlin?"
Call up the latest sports news and news via Alexa command
Alexa is very familiar with a wide variety of sports and disciplines and can provide current information on the following leagues, among other things:
- BL - Bundesliga
- EPL - English Premier League
- MLB - Major League Baseball
- MLS - Major League Soccer
- NBA - National Basketball Association
- NCAA Basketball Men - National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA FBS Football - National Collegiate Athletic Association: Football Bowl Subdivision
- NFL - National Football League
- NHL - National Hockey League
- WNBA - Women's National Basketball Association
Accordingly, the smart voice assistant naturally also answers questions about individual game results, playing times or players. For example, the following voice commands are possible:
- "Alexa, give me my sports update."
- "Alexa, how can I hear the DFB-Pokal?"
- "Alexa, keyword 'Bundesliga'."
- "Alexa, what is the score of FC Bayern Munich?"
- "Alexa, how is the game between Russia and Germany?"
- "Alexa, who won the quarter-finals in the Bundesliga?"
- "Alexa, when will Werder Bremen play next?"
- "Alexa, did VfL Wolfsburg win?"
- "Alexa, what about KSC against SC Fortuna Köln?"
- "Alexa, how do you like FC Bayern Munich?"
- "Alexa, how many goals has Philipp Lahm already scored?"
- "Alexa, when does the German national team play?"
- "Alexa, who is the current world champion?"
Other voice commands that can be used to call up sports news:
- "Alexa, who is in the Wimbledon semi-finals?"
- "Alexa, how fast is Alexander Zverev's serve?"
- "Alexa, what is the overall Formula 1 standings like?"
Further practical Alexa functions for games and sports are presented here:
The most popular Alexa sports news skills in a practical test
Alexa Skill Stream Player brings TV programming live to Echo Show
Perfect entertainment with Alexa TV & television skills
Manage tasks and to-do lists with Alexa voice commands
Where should the 3 p.m. appointment take place? And which current documents have to be copied quickly beforehand? In the office there are many small and large tasks that have to be constantly adapted to the current conditions. Fortunately, with Alexa voice commands, appointments as well as to-do or shopping lists can be created quickly and updated if necessary.
Create and manage appointments by voice command
- "Alexa, add an appointment to my calendar."
- "Alexa, add the appointment 'wash the car' for Saturday, August 12th at 9:00 am."
- "Alexa, what day of the week is May 24th?"
- "Alexa, what's on my calendar for 1 p.m. tomorrow?"
- "Alexa, when is my next appointment?"
- "Alexa, what is Tuesday in my calendar?"
- "Alexa, remind me of my dentist appointment."
- "Alexa, which calendar week do we have?"
- "Alexa, send a message."
Such voice-controlled task and appointment lists are of course not only practical in the office, but also at home or on the go, if you have forgotten which groceries are needed or what still had to be done on the way to work.
Never forget personal notes and tasks again thanks to Alexa commands:
- "Alexa, what is my daily summary?"
- "Alexa, what's new?"
- "Alexa, what's my update?"
Create or edit to-do and shopping lists with Alexa commands:
- "Alexa, add copy paper and paper clips to my shopping list."
- "Alexa, what's on my shopping list?"
- "Alexa, put 'fill up' on my to-do list."
- "Alexa, what's on my to-do list?"
You can find detailed instructions here: Create and edit Alexa shopping list or to-do list
Use Alexa with voice commands as a calculator or dictionary
Thick tomes are out today and pocket calculators are usually not available when you need them. Anyone who wants to know something has been asking the Internet for a long time - or Alexa directly. It knows the correct spelling of thousands of technical terms, solves arithmetic problems and even functions as a currency converter. Would you like an example?
Have Alexa explain, spell or translate words on demand
- "Alexa, translate" Hello "into Spanish."
- "Alexa, what is the definition of paradox?"
- "Alexa, how do you write / spell Xylofon?"
The article explains what is already going well and where there is still room for improvement: The most popular translation skills
Solve arithmetic tasks using Alexa voice control
- "Alexa what is 365 minus 198?"
- "Alexa what is 298 plus 32?"
- "Alexa what is 5 times 98?"
- "Alexa what is 36 divided by 4?"
- "Alexa, what is the root of 24?"
- "Alexa, what are 19 percent of 5724?"
- "Alexa what is 12 times 16?"
- "Alexa, is 13 a prime number?"
Note: Alexa cannot yet multiply, divide, subtract or add more than two numbers.
Convert temperatures, currencies and distance units with Alexa commands
- "Alexa, convert 8 degrees Celsius to Fahrenheit."
- "Alexa, convert 75 Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius"
- "Alexa, convert 42 miles to kilometers."
- "Alexa, what are 7 miles to kilometers?"
- "Alexa, convert 13 kilometers to miles."
- "Alexa, one dollar in pound."
More knowledge: Clarify spontaneous knowledge questions via Alexa voice command
In everyday life there are many situations in which we do not know what to do next. Sometimes tricky questions come up when the children do their homework, the solution of which is not necessarily obvious. In addition, there are occasional discussions at work or in their free time in which everyone believes they have the better general education. In such cases, a quick question to Alexa is usually sufficient to clear up any ambiguity.
Answer children's questions quickly and easily with Alexa
- "Alexa, why is the banana crooked?"
- "Alexa, why is the sky blue?"
- "Alexa, is there Santa Claus?"
- "Alexa, how many days are there until Christmas Eve?"
- "Alexa, what is love?"
Alexa voice commands that vanish homework problems into thin air
- "Alexa, which is the highest mountain on earth?"
- "Alexa, how high is Mount Everest?"
- "Alexa, what is the square root of 49?"
- "Alexa, how many are 12 miles to kilometers?"
- "Alexa, what is the 2nd binomial formula?"
- "Alexa, what are Austria's neighboring countries?"
- "Alexa, who wrote Buddenbrooks?"
- "Alexa, how many rings does Jupiter have?"
- "Alexa, who invented the light bulb?"
- "Alexa, where do great white sharks live?"
- "Alexa, who is Yuri Gagarin?"
- "Alexa, how is snow made?"
- How do I restore the AWS backup
- Who taught Vishnu Sahasranamam
- Have Indian flights sky marshals
- Can jaw surgery correct a weak chin
- Are Pete Townshend and Paul McCartney friends
- Is this career strategy correct?
- What is the stand-alone system
- Do you like Bok Choy
- What do you think about at night
- Are F1 cars gasoline or diesel
- Is Joker purely angry or is it just misunderstood?
- What's the wrong way to be successful
- Narwhals are cool
- Airliners are flown from a distance
- What is a contraction joint
- Plastic surgery fixes the uncertainty problems
- How do I delete my WeChat account
- Where can I play bingo online
- What are the ABCs of songwriting
- How are polymers and monomers similar?
- Which scientific topics are politically neutral?
- What is a college rental property
- Why did the financial crisis occur in Greece