What fruits can I grow in Connecticut

Apples

Variety of varieties

In the middle of the 19th century, around 2,000 apple varieties were known in Germany, but in the course of commercial fruit growing and as a result of the food shortage after the Second World War, only particularly high-performance varieties could survive economically. Consumers can contribute to maintaining the diversity of varieties by planting old apple varieties in their own garden, buying regional and rare varieties or cultivating orchards.

Organically grown apples are grown on an area of ​​6,092 hectares. This corresponds to a share of 18 percent. Table apples are grown on around 57 percent of this area, and commercial apples on the remaining 43 percent. In organic farming, varieties with a low susceptibility to disease are important, since no chemical pesticides may be used. Therefore, varieties are chosen that have as much resistance to diseases or harmful organisms as possible. The best-known scab-resistant apple variety is the 'Topaz'.

The standard varieties in organic apple cultivation also include 'Elstar' and 'Jonagold', in southern Germany 'Idared', 'Boskoop' and the early apple 'Piros', in northern Germany 'Ingrid Marie' and 'Holsteiner Cox'. The varieties 'Braeburn' and 'Gala', which are popular with consumers, are hardly suitable for organic cultivation. They are very susceptible to various diseases, including scab, cancer and fire blight, as well as spider mites.

Commercial fruit growing has changed a lot since the 1970s. Until then, large-crowned, tall-stemmed and therefore labor-intensive apple trees characterized the grounds, today cultivation takes place exclusively on small-crowned spindles. As a result, there are now 10 to 20 times as many trees in the same area. Their height is limited to a maximum of three to four meters, so that all fruits can be picked directly by hand or at least can be reached with height-adjustable picking trolleys.

Harvesting apples