Mosquitoes bite less in winter
Myth refutedMosquitoes and Co. is the cold no matter
"When the winter is cold and it freezes, we get fewer mosquitoes and wasps in the summer." One hears again and again. But it is wrong.
With the current frosty temperatures, it feels good to think about summer every now and then. When it's warm outside and we're still sitting outside on the balcony in the evening. But one thing does not appear in these romantic ideas: to be bitten by mosquitoes.
Lately it has been quite frosty - sometimes it was below zero during the day. When making small talk about the cold temperatures, the following sentence is often used: "If the winter was cold, the mosquitoes stay away in the summer." Optionally also: "... the wasps stay away in summer."
Unfortunately, that's a myth. This applies to both mosquitoes and wasps. What matters more is what the weather is like in spring.
Spring decides the mosquito population
Mosquitoes build up their population in several waves. It is ideal for them when the spring is humid and warm. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in small bodies of water or in puddles. The more larvae hatch, the more can lay eggs again in the next batch.
This winter the mosquitoes will survive just as well as the winters before. They can easily withstand temperatures of up to minus 20 degrees. Mosquitoes crawl into cracks - for example in the bark of a tree - when it gets cold and freeze themselves. The low temperatures cannot harm them because they have stored an antifreeze.
Wasp population grows in warmth and drought
It's a little different with wasps. They don't need water to reproduce. However, just like the mosquitoes, they have to rebuild their colonies in spring. To do this, the queen, who is the only one who survived, goes out and looks for a suitable place to build a wasp state. In order for it to grow, however, different conditions are required than with the mosquito. Moisture is bad for wasps, because then the brood will develop a mold problem.
- Is NH4SCN soluble
- How do I solve my heart problems
- Are both IQ EQ overrated
- How did the Protestant Reformation affect Christianity?
- What does U2 think of the Beatles
- What are social media bots
- How did you reverse fatty liver disease?
- What is the battery life of Palm Pre
- Marcus Aurelius owned slaves
- Should I found a new LLC?
- Will public shootings ever stop?
- What consumer reports will I have
- What is Tar XZVF
- Where do people run in Burlington Vermont
- Playing chess is a waste of time
- What Are Some of the Best Comedy Punjabi Movies
- What does VAF mean for a visa
- Is the war on Thanksgiving real?
- How do racing bike teams work
- Trump likes Jewish people
- Would you marry a clone of yourself
- Which floor is used in football?
- Who is a rich man
- Why is Deepika Padukone paid high