What is the normal range of HbA1c
How high can the HbA1c value be?
Two laboratory values are regularly measured in diabetics: one is the fasting blood sugar and then the so-called HbA1c.
Fasting blood sugar describes the level of glucose (grape sugar) in the blood. It is usually measured in the morning, as nothing should be eaten or drunk except water for at least eight hours before the measurement.
The HbA1c value is the more important of the two because it provides information about blood sugar over the past eight to twelve weeks. This is the time it takes for the red blood cells to renew themselves. HB is the abbreviation for hemoglobin. This is the red blood pigment that is important for the transport of oxygen in the body. When sugar molecules attach to the hemoglobin, it is called HbA1c.
If the blood sugar values are increased over a longer period of time, the higher the HbA1c value. However, a good HbA1c does not automatically mean that the blood sugar values were always in the normal range. There may have been upward swings that are not reflected in the average value.
Target values between 6.5 and 7.5 percent
The HbA1c value is around 5 percent in healthy people. This means that about five percent of the hemoglobin molecules are "saccharified". Long-term blood sugar is significantly higher in diabetics. The aim of therapy for type 2 diabetes is to set the HbA1c value between 6.5 and 7.5 percent. The 5 percent of healthy people are usually not aimed for. In type 1 diabetes, the values should be below 7.5 percent. This is recommended by the German Diabetes Society.
The HbA1c value is used together with other parameters to diagnose diabetes. Diabetes is when HbA1c is 6 percent or above. However, this diagnosis must be made by a doctor. Laboratory values alone are not meaningful enough, especially since they can differ from laboratory to laboratory.
Exercise uses up sugar
If the doctor diagnoses type 2 diabetes, he will set the therapy goals together with the patient. Sometimes lifestyle changes are enough to permanently lower blood sugar. A light diet or exercise. For example, a walk after eating breaks down the sugar in the blood more strongly than taking an afternoon nap afterwards.
Almost 400 million people worldwide suffer from diabetes, most of them from type 2 diabetes. This has made diabetes one of the greatest health threats ever. Around seven million people are affected in Germany - another three million are estimated to know nothing about their diabetes.
- Who would be the next Barcelona coach
- Who has suffered more Naruto or Sasuke
- Is Slumdog Millionaire a Bollywood Movie
- Where have all the angels gone?
- Has Trump always led a conservative agenda
- How to run CHMOD on Windows
- Eat mealworms oatmeal
- What foods heal your lungs
- What does bespoke mean
- Why does nobody care about climate change?
- Where's Cad Bane
- How does it feel to have depression?
- Why set-top box is compulsory in India
- Who is stronger Kisame or Itachi
- A sinner can be tried
- What is Ireland's greatest treasure
- Why do aquatic plants have fewer stomata
- Narwhals are cool
- What is Compiled Code
- What are some useful roaming services
- How do wind turbines work
- Everyone uses Quora after a breakup
- Which crypto currency will increase like Bitcoin today?
- What is the advantage of leather soles