What is commutative algebra
4 + 2 SWS
Target group: Math students from the 5th semester.
Prerequisite: lecture computer algebra.
Table of Contents
Subject of the lectureThe central object of commutative algebra are modules.
As is well known, modules are a natural generalization of vector spaces:
the main difference is that the scalars do not consist of a body,
but come from a (mostly commutative, hence the title) ring.
Apparently small cause, big effect:
In contrast to the vector space, a module usually has no basis,
and we lose the concept of dimension so practical in linear algebra.
On the other hand, rings have a much richer structure than bodies, and so can
significantly more interesting phenomena occur with modules than with vector spaces.
We will take a closer look at some of them in this lecture.
Commutative algebra is mainly used in
of algebraic geometry, coding theory and combinatorics,
as well as in the study of linear differential equation systems, but also
in apparently distant mathematical disciplines
like approximation theory, optimization and statistics.
- M. Atiyah, I. G. Macdonald, Introduction to Commutative Algebra, Perseus Books 1999
- D. Eisenbud, Commutative Algebra with a View Toward Algebraic Geometry, Springer 1995
- G.-M. Greuel, G. Pfister, A Singular Introduction to Commutative Algebra, Springer 2007
- E. Kunz, Introduction to Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry, Birkhäuser 1985
- T. Y. Lam, Lectures on Modules and Rings, Springer 1998
- D. G. Northcott, Finite Free Resolutions, Cambridge University Press 2004
- R. Y. Sharp, Steps in Commutative Algebra, Cambridge University Press 2000
- Can you help me prepare for ESE?
- What drives you crazy about Royal Enfield
- How much does a robot cost
- What is prohibited in Russia
- Why not consider sport an art
- What are the main aspects of Reaganomics
- What is Infor Supply Chain Management SCM
- What was your scariest moth experience
- Can an alcoholic donate blood
- Why are there white skin diseases
- How can I improve my electronic skills
- How do pirates communicate with each other
- What is the result of an affair
- Essentially, rhetoric is debate
- Which is better Lichess or Schach24
- Why should I stop pushing my luck?
- How intelligent lighting is revolutionizing home lighting
- How long can you live with guilt
- A person can be naturally optimistic
- How do vegans put together a meal
- Paint dead
- What is the best Romance language
- Which is better for learning Java
- What can you learn from teaching children