Birkin bag is overrated
Animal welfare: why Birkin no longer wants her bag
The Birkin Bag is probably the best-known It-Bag. It is the status symbol in the fashion industry. Confessing Birkin wearers include Kim Kardashian, Victoria Beckham, the girls from Sex and the City and Gilmore Girl Rory. Every fashionista dreams of owning one of these bags one day. The chic leather handbag costs a good 13,000 dollars - the crocodile leather version even costs 42,000 dollars. That's probably more than what you've spent on your entire degree. Even if you have enough money for the designer piece, you can join the waiting list first. Because the demand is high and the supply is low. This is due to the handcrafting of each individual bag.
The pocket madness began in 1984. The first Birkin Bag was made for the French actress and singer Jane Birkin. She became famous on her arm. Now Brikin has spoken out against the use of crocodile skin for the luxury bag. The reason for this is the lack of international guidelines for leather production. Now she is demanding that her name no longer be associated with the bag: “Having been alerted to the cruel practices reserved for crocodiles during their slaughter to make Hermès handbags carrying my name… I have asked Hermès to debaptise the Birkin Croco until better practices in line with international norms can be put in place, ”she said, according to AFP.
Shortly thereafter, Hermès publishes a statement: "(Jane Birkin's) comments do not in any way influence the friendship and confidence that we have shared for many years. Hermès respects and shares her emotions and was also shocked by the images recently broadcast. ”Hermès also made it clear that the Texan farm where the crocodile skin comes from operates according to the standards of the“ Fish and Wildlife Association ”.
Jane Birkin's career
Jane Birkin is known as an excellent film actress, for her romance with famous movie people and for her humanitarian work. She has always had a soft spot for her male colleagues. Birkin's first daughter, Kate Barry, emerged from his marriage to the film composer John Barry. Birkin's second daughter, Charlotte, emerged from the love affair with Serge Gainsbourg, whom they met on the set of Slogan. She had her third daughter with the director Jaques Doillon.
With John Barry, Birkin recorded the duet “Je t’aime– moi non plus” in 1969, which became a worldwide hit but also outraged masses of people. Because the pleasurable moaning clearly audible in it was too obscene for the Vatican. After years of traveling all over the world as a musician, she has increasingly devoted herself to her family and humanitarian aid projects. The 68-year-old is currently touring Europe on the 20th anniversary of the death of her first husband Serge Gainsbourg.
And now: Show us your Birkin Bags!
Follow ZEITjUNG onFacebook, Twitter andInstagram!
Image source: Wikipedia CC by 3.0
- What are some textbook examples of evil
- How many square feet is a meter?
- How do people with bad parents survive
- What is a non-vintage port
- What kind of car part is that
- Buddhism is growing in Europe
- High voices are attractive
- How can I read the optical body language
- Why do people attend elite business schools
- Did my email offend my professor
- Are any mammals ovoviviparous
- What is an Account Profiling Service
- How is life in Barquisimeto Venezuela
- What is the definition of dynamic stretching
- Why is the universe so predictable?
- What are the best verticalized crowdsourcing platforms
- How Has Child Abuse Affected You 1
- What is a cat memory span
- How many MB does 1 GB contain
- How do I control corrosion
- When was the last time you were homesick?
- What would lead to Facebook running slowly
- What is the most common extracellular cation
- What is the origin of postage stamp paper