What causes less sleep
Sleep durationVery little sleep - some can s, other Not
Sleeping just four or five hours a day and staying healthy is possible - but only if you are equipped with the appropriate genetic material.
Some people would probably wish they could get by on as little sleep as Brad Johnson did. The American and some of his siblings are enough four to five hours of sleep a day. Brad Johnson has always slept so little, and he is healthy, fit, productive. He says: He can't sleep for more than six hours, even if he wanted to.
Brad and other short sleepers have also become subjects of study, and in fact, researchers have found a certain DNA sequence that looks different in people who get by with little sleep than in those who sleep seven hours or more.
Most Germans sleep between six and seven hours
In Germany, according to a study by Techniker Krankenkasse, 60 percent of all people over 18 years of age state that they sleep six to seven hours. After all, 17 percent get by with five hours of sleep, so Brad Johnson is not alone with his short sleep duration.
"Getting by" with five hours of sleep is one of those things. The questionnaire did not ask whether sleep is enough to feel fit and healthy. Some people actually need to sleep more, but either don't want to or can't.
"I really don't see why you should aim for less sleep."
If the ability to get by with little sleep is genetically determined and genetic modifications are now in principle also possible in humans: Could we then undergo gene therapy in order to have less sleep?
This has even been done with mice, and in principle this is also conceivable for humans. Only: "I really don't see why one should strive for that," says Christine Blume, sleep researcher at the Center for Chronobiology of the University Psychiatric Clinics in Basel, "Sleep is nice too. Some would even say it's fun."
Sleep less = work more?
On the other hand: We would have more usable hours a day. And it might even work for the individual. But if all people could suddenly get by with less sleep, companies could quickly get the idea of demanding that all people also work more.
In fact, medical therapy that affects the need for sleep could also have a real benefit: For people who need a lot of sleep to stay healthy.
"Our body actually knows pretty well how long we should sleep. And I think that is how long we should just give our bodies rest."
Well, it doesn't have to be gene therapy right away. Does simple training work, i.e. also just sleep less extra? Sleep researcher Christine Blume says: In most cases it won't work. But: We can generally take care of our health, i.e. eat well, do sports, avoid stress.
All of this could have a positive effect on the main problems with sleeping: falling asleep poorly and difficulty sleeping through the night. Almost half of all women in Germany state that they are affected. Men tend to sleep a little better.
- What is the application of Al 7075
- Which FIFA games have 2 halves of the minute
- How much did Santa Claus make gross
- Which places do you know in India
- Where in Pune can I find love
- Where could I learn English fluently online?
- What is Benny Spellman's most successful song
- Hiring ONGC recruitment agencies
- Why are glasses associated with high intellect
- What Are Some Good Allergy Remedies
- Are areas important in WoW
- All demons fear the Bible
- How can we make barium hydroxide
- What is the unique form of the police
- Why do many people dislike soy products?
- What is the best adhesive for ceramic repair
- Sean Hannity is in trouble now
- What is special about Linkedin
- How do women's ovaries fall
- Do you think it's fun to be gay?
- How is an HTTP request created
- How does Veritas NetBackup
- Bad sex is why people cheat
- Which locations in India have 100 internships
- Does John Carmack have Asperger's Syndrome
- Which state capital name begins with DE
- Was Indra a god or a post
- What is C9H7BF2N2
- What does gang violence mean to you
- Have CNG Pumb in Nasik
- Which pen is most valuable to you
- Why is the heart a muscular organ
- Why is the earth not a perfect circle