Which Japanese KEI car is your favorite?
2019 (Full Year) Japan: Best-Selling Minicar (Kei) Brands and Models
In 2019, Daihatsu and Suzuki were the best-selling minicar (kei) brands in Japan with the Honda N-Box again the top-selling car.
In full calendar year 2019, new minicar (kei) registrations were slightly lower at 1,910,346 (-0.7%) than a year ago. Daihatsu and Suzuki continued to dominate the Japanese minicar market with each brand selling nearly a third of all minicars in Japan. In 2019, the Honda N-Box was Japan’s best-selling car model for the fourth consecutive year.
Japan Car Sales Statistics: 2021 - Q1; 2020 (Full Year) - Brands, Models, Minicars; 2019 (Full Year) - Brands, Models, Minicars
Best-Selling Minicar Brands in Japan in 2019 (Full Year)
The top-selling minicar (kei) brands in Japan in 2019 were as follows according to Zenkeijkyo:
Mini cars (kei-jidousya) in Japan are vehicles defined by amongst others being shorter than 3.4 m with a maximum height of 2 m and a maximum width of 1.48 m. The engine capacity is restricted to 0.66 l measured by the Japanese standard.
Top-Selling Minicar Brands in Japan in 2019 (Full Year)
Minicar sales in Japan in 2019 were relatively stable and only 0.7%, or 14,000 cars, less than in 2018. There were similarly not much movement in the fortunes of the largest minicar makers in Japan in 2019.
Daihatsu remained the largest minicar producer in Japan and slightly increased output and market share. Second-placed Suzuki slipped somewhat back but both of the two largest minicar makers in Japan each still controlled over 30% of the total kei market.
Honda sales were also slightly lower but in 2019 the Honda N-Box was for the fourth consecutive year the top-selling minicar in Japan. Honda has nearly a fifth of the minicar market in Japan.
Nissan was the most-improved minicar brand in Japan in 2019 by increasing sales by 5.5% to take just over 10% of the kei market.
Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota, and Subaru all had weaker minicar sales in Japan in 2019 but these brands are only minor players in the kei market. Although Toyota brand sold less than 2% of minicars in Japan, it is worth noting that Daihatsu is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota Motor Company, Japan’s largest vehicle producer.
Best-Selling Minicar Models in Japan in 2019 (Full Year)
The 15 top-selling minicar models in Japan in 2019 were as follows:
In 2019, the Honda N-Box was for the fourth consecutive year the best-selling minicar in Japan. Honda sold twice as many N-Box minicars than Toyota sold of the Prius that was the top-selling regular car model in Japan in 2019. See 2019 Best-Selling Car Models in Japan for a combined list - half of the top ten most popular cars in Japan in 2019 were minicars including the top four.
There were no changes in the models on the list of the top 15 best-selling minicars in Japan in 2019 compared to a year ago but there were changes in rank order. A new version of the Daihatsu Tanto was launched during the second half of 2019 and sales for the full year were up 28% and the Tanto moved up from fourth to second.
The Suzuki Spaica and Nissan Days each slipped one rank position despite increasing sales by around a tenth. All the other top-15 minicars had weaker sales in Japan in 2019 with the noticeable exception of the Suzuki Jimny that increased sales by 45%.
See also: 2019 Japan: Best-Selling Car Models and 2019 Japan: Best-Selling Car Brands.
- Fake orange is toxic to cats
- How is cutlery and crockery different
- Why do fried foods taste bad
- How are young wives supposed to file taxes together
- Do tarantulas enjoy being held?
- How to learn 11th grade trigonometry
- What is the symphonic celebration of Jerry Garcia
- Why does God bring rain for us
- Do you really have to do something?
- There were four-legged carnivorous dinosaurs
- How much salary did the NSG commando get
- What is meant by the off-campus package
- Product managers should know how to code
- Sell Amazon and Flipkart duplicate products
- Why is Harry Potters' birthday on July 31st
- Can we divide 20 by 5?
- How can I avoid dropping something?
- What is a Rubbermaid container
- Expert emails are accepted in Facebook
- Where can I buy Ovonic LiPo batteries
- What is a mandatory concrete mixer
- What are the cons of string theory
- Will smartphones ever completely replace cameras?
- Book hotels for the general public through the Internet
- What is normal rice
- What is the best virtual coin exchange
- Have CNG Pumb in Nasik
- MVC is a reaction
- Artichoke is considered a vegetable
- Daemons cause sleep paralysis
- Why are ascendant signs important
- Which organization has the best training to become an entrepreneur
- Is Gibraltar worth a visit