How do you become a successful cook
Do you want to be successful as a chef? Start writing!
Notebooks are not only for artists and scientists, but also for chefs. It is an accumulation of successes and memories of successful recipes and artistic phases. This notebook is much more than just a pile of paper for any chef. We'll tell you why you should keep a notebook and why it's so important.
If you want to be successful as a chef, start writing!
You have probably already seen it. The small, thin and filthy notebook in which cooks write their recipes. It fits in every pocket and, if necessary, in the knife roll and is usually studied and expanded during a cigarette break.
For most chefs, this book is a directory of their entire careers. It contains all of the deliberate and accidental masterpieces they have ever created. Some also fill it with recipes from bosses and colleagues. It's like a throwback to the old days when you were extremely successful and which help the chef to continue to be successful when he has less time for experiments and is under enormous pressure.
If you don't have a notebook like that, you're just an idiot. Write it down. Everything! Every time you make a new variation or have found a way to make your sauces even better, write. Write when you are satisfied with something. Heard these menus like family photos. Take the time once a month to expand it and write down your successes. Complete the recipes with impressions from the team and how the guests liked it.
This book should become a reflection of yourself. Creativity is a skill like any other, and not using or brushing up on that skill is like rusting your knives. It's a sign of laziness and resignation.
The beginning is of course not easy, but as soon as it becomes a habit and after a few years, you have a complete picture of your career and your personal evolution as a chef. You will recognize your weaknesses, see times in which you have had lows, but also moments in which you discover your talent and realize what an extraordinary cook you are. I wrote down every fish dish I made. After a year I was able to compare the production costs of the sauces and side dishes.
I was obsessed with smoked tomatoes for a month or two. After that it was parsnips. I could even see a pattern in my risottos vs. veggies. All of this has enabled me to get to know my own limits and broaden my horizons. I swore by tomatoes for more than six months. I've used them for everything I've done. I spent two weeks figuring out how to replace short grain rice with different types of grain.
I can't tell you how many times it pays to write it all down. I've been able to pass the recipe on to a young chef countless times with just a few instructions on size. Young chefs were hired to fill a role. But no matter what role you have, it is never bad to provide a solution to an existing problem. Especially if it's not your problem.
Ballpoint pens are not listed as part of the chef's uniform for nothing. Nobody is responsible for your culinary evolution, neither the chef, your mentor, nor anyone else, just yourself.
Not only does writing get you up, but the right job too. If you want to be really successful, then click here.
Text: Mara Methvin (shiftgig)
Image: Dustin Lee (unsplash)
Now is the best time to find the best people. Get access to over 250,000 highly qualified chefs and service staff. Book your free 10 minute demo now.Book a free demo
- What's the easiest question about Quora
- Can an ulcer patient take garlic
- What are important mnemonics for the UPSC
- What is the difference between agnosticism and ignorance?
- What cures vibramycin
- What is the treatment for gliosis
- What percentage of libertarians are for life
- How do I check the column starter
- Why is aloe vera called aloe vera
- What kind of liquid does a lighter contain?
- Questions can make you rich
- What is Root Chakra Meditation
- What is the IRR-Militaer 1
- How to get to Thornton Tomasetti
- How do I solve a master morphix
- How can I avoid dropping something?
- How do you get a hickey
- What are your dropshipping strategies
- How do you become a service provider
- How do I describe YouTube
- What is your conception of maturity
- An oxygen level of 93 is bad
- What is the main ingredient in sauerkraut
- We may run out of resources
- What can serial entrepreneurs learn from dealers
- What is the index number
- Why do we serialize objects in Java
- How can I learn ServiceNow
- Where can you buy cheap classic cars?
- All chemical compounds have a pH
- What is the jurisdiction of the government of Delhi
- Subutai is the greatest general there ever was
- What are some cricket movies in Telugu