What are plug-ins
Internet What is a plug-in?
Plug-ins are small additional programs that expand the content and functions within software such as browsers. A browser plug-in can, for example, display additional content that it was not originally designed to display. In this article, you will learn what the basic functions of plug-ins are and whether you need them.
What do plug-ins do?
Plug-ins are extensions for applications, computer programs or web browsers. The term is often used synonymously with add-on and add-in and is probably familiar to you from add-ons for Firefox, Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. Common examples of a plug-in are the Adobe Flash Player or the Java plug-in. Plug-ins are always connected to the main application and cannot be run individually. The main function is the same for all areas: add new functions to the software.
A software manufacturer such as WordPress defines standardized programming interfaces - the so-called API - for your product. An API is an interface that programmers make available to interact with a service by using shared libraries. In addition, external developers can program their own products to expand or change the functionality of WordPress without changing the basic source code of the application. If you would like to learn more about useful WordPress plugins, read our relevant article.
By the way: if you're wondering whether to use "plug-ins" or "plugins" as the spelling, the answer is simple. Both versions are correct. Technically speaking, plug-ins are correct, but the spelling "plug-ins" is just as widespread on the web.
You can find possible plug-in variants in the following programs, for example:
- Graphics programs such as Photoshop or GIMP provide in the form of Filter a plug-in variant. If you want to display new effects, the filter palette can be expanded using additional plug-ins.
- The most well-known variant can be found in browsers as add-ons. Here are typical examples Ad blocker or a plug-in for Adaptation of the browser interface.
- For free CMS applications like WordPress, you can use plug-ins like SEO or automatic cache memory install it afterwards and thus expand the scope.
What kind of plug-ins are there?
There are now different plug-ins for almost every software and program. Powerful tools like GIMP can be expanded through the targeted use of plug-ins. As a user, you are probably familiar with plug-ins from your browser - be it Firefox or Chrome. If you want to use the look of the browser or additional functions such as ad blockers, plug-ins or add-ons are required.
Browser plug-ins are required to play certain media and to add capabilities. Install the Flash Player for Flash Videos or Acrobat Reader to read PDF files in the browser. In modern web browsers and websites, HTML5 has now replaced the need for the Adobe Flash plug-in. After 2020, Adobe will no longer support Flash or the Flash plug-in. Other well-known extensions are Silverlight, QuickTime or Java. Of course, there are other types of plug-ins in addition to plug-ins for browsers. In the following we summarize for you where extensions can be installed:
- Graphics plug-ins: Image processing programs such as Photoshop or Gimp are usually equipped with numerous tools by default. Nevertheless, additional filters or tools can be added via the plug-ins. By the way, read here how to find and install GIMP plugins.
- Audio plug-ins: Audio plugins are used to replace instruments in the form of software. In this way, certain sound effects or even musical instruments can be simulated in digital recording studios.
- CMS plug-ins: Content management systems such as WordPress owe their popularity to numerous plug-ins that extend the functionality and enable you to create your own website without much know-how.
- Can I use Vaseline on my dog?
- Sleeping deep sea creatures
- How many Las Vegas signs are there
- Emotional stress can kill you
- Why is Sammy Davis considered a Satanist
- What is your online business plan
- What makes a bad therapist
- What is Sufism Why are Sufis good
- Highly effective people watch movies
- Is AlphaBay trustworthy
- How do leaders of different nations communicate
- Why are indian police uniforms khaki
- How is the brain cell replaced
- Is CCl4 toxic
- A good razor that hairdressers use
- Helps Travel Your Depression
- Are songwriters sufficiently valued
- Was Javert the villain in Les Miserables
- Why did BTS make a name for itself as BTX
- Social science should be more solution-oriented
- What are playful music
- Do CoQ10 capsules actually work?
- Why is the pistol star blue
- What is the lifespan of a water molecule