Is there an alternative to disposable diapers
Cloth diapers: This is how reusable diapers work
Disposable diapers are expensive and create huge mountains of garbage. No wonder that more and more parents are interested in cloth diapers. However, many parents are put off by the fact that cloth diapers are more work. How good is the alternative to the disposable diaper really?
Cloth diapers with snaps can be individually adapted to the size of the baby and grow with them. Photo: iStockphoto, Thinkstock
By the time your baby is out of diaper at some point in infancy, you will be spending a great deal of time diapering. A newborn baby needs an average of six to eight fresh diapers a day. Projected, you can easily and happily come up with 5000 diapers for your child.
So it is understandable when parents usually think about which diapers they want to use before the birth. Some are very clear that only the disposable diapers are considered, others only use them out of conviction Cloth diapers. And still others are not entirely sure and try everything out first. Of course, only you can know what is best for you and your baby. There are good reasons for both cloth and disposable diapers.
Advantages of cloth diapers
One of the biggest pluses for Cloth diapers Heard that reusable diapers are cheaper than disposable diapers. The acquisition costs, which can cost a few hundred francs depending on the type, seem comparatively high at first, but the costs pay off at the end of the diaper time and you will save money compared to the disposable diapers. The bill is of course even cheaper if the cloth diapers are carried by several siblings.
Disposable diapers contain chemicals that move and bind urine away from the body. Many a baby's bottom is sensitive to this and tolerates cloth diapers better. When buying cloth diapers, make sure that they are made from untreated cotton to counteract skin irritation. With some babies, however, it is the other way around and they tolerate disposable diapers better than cloth diapers. If your baby has a sore bottom, be sure to try both types of diapers to see which works better for your baby.
One argument that fans of cloth diapers use again and again is that they are more environmentally friendly. It is of course true that disposable diapers keep the piles of trash growing and that it will take generations for them to break down again. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, do not fill garbage cans, but can be used again and again. However, energy and water are also used when washing (and possibly drying) the diapers. In addition, there are now ecological disposable diapers that are more environmentally friendly. So you should be aware that no diaper system is really environmentally friendly.
Disadvantages of cloth diapers
The big disadvantage of cloth diapers is of course the additional effort. You throw a disposable diaper in the trash and that's it. A cloth diaper must be washed and hung up after use. However, you will likely find that with Baby you will be spending a lot of time at the washing machine anyway. A few more or less diapers don't really matter. You can wash the diapers in the washing machine as normal. In addition, in some areas there is a diaper service that picks up the used diapers and brings them back freshly washed.
Some parents find that cloth diapers are not as absorbent as disposable diapers. An experience that, by the way, is not shared by all parents. Cloth diapers are also not always the most practical solution for on the go. After all, you cannot simply dispose of the used diaper, you have to bring it home again. Especially if you are on the road for a few days and may not have a washing machine available, it can be difficult with cloth diapers. It is then advisable to switch to disposable diapers, at least temporarily.
This is how cloth diapers work
Modern cloth diaper systems no longer have much in common with the complicated cloth diapers of the past, which you may remember from your childhood. Today there are very different cloth diapers, all of which are easy to use. As a rule, a cloth diaper consists of a pair of diapers and an inner diaper that absorbs the excretions. In some diaper systems, the diaper pant and inner diaper consist of one part. These are most similar to the disposable diapers, but may not dry as well. With some diapers, the suction part is also pushed into the diaper pants.
Most cloth diapers have Velcro fasteners or snaps. This means that they can be individually adapted to the size of your baby and grow with them. It is also no more complicated than putting on a disposable diaper. A fleece insert also belongs in the diaper, which catches the coarsest dirt and can then be used in the toilet.
If you would like to try out cloth diapers, but do not know which system is best for you, then some providers offer a rental service first, after which you can decide at your leisure.
- You can find more detailed information on the non-commercial website www.naturwindeln.de
- Also ask about the experience with cloth diapers in our forum!
- In which area is zirconium hydrogen phosphate used
- What are the practices of Scientology
- How can I copyright my own series?
- Who still buys solo piano sheet music?
- What is your unpopular opinion of popular people
- Why was the Egyptian monarchy officially abolished
- Are Cadillacs good vehicles
- What are your favorite pictures in Photoshop
- What is the name of a tumor removal operation
- Drag queens are usually gay
- What is it worth to be bought again at Walmart
- Should I invest in the GreenMed crypto
- Christianity regards self-hatred as a sin
- Do fish have dry eyes
- How can I enjoy violin practice
- What happened to WebOS
- What is used to make mirrors
- How bad is narcissistic abuse
- Which factors determine the density level
- Which is a good phone recently launched
- What does nomad mean
- What technology is suppressed today?
- How are wires connected in a house
- How do I download this app
- What is Meghan Markle's nationality
- A good razor that hairdressers use
- Why do people have philosophical debates
- Why is the earth not a perfect circle
- Isn't Zen Buddhism dualistic?
- Queen Anne had children
- Is a black hole two-dimensional mathematically
- Bodybuilding is a good career in India
- Why are marine animals electrocuted underwater?