What is the network speed of Jio
Reliance Jiophone Could Revive Dying Cell Phone Market: Analysts 2021
Reliance Jio presented its 4G feature phone, the so-called JioPhone, at the 40th Annual General Meeting today. The device comes with a refundable deposit of 1,500 rupees, which is returned after three years.
With the rise in popularity of smartphones, largely due to their easier affordability, the decline in feature phones has given a kick, especially in developed markets and urban markets of developing countries like India.
Feature phones have been left behind because of their connectivity over slow 2G network speeds, leaving users asking for more.
While urban populations in countries like India have got used to smartphones, the rural population is still forced to use slow phones with 2G connections for financial reasons.Other news: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 launches on August 23
With a refundable security deposit of Rs.1,500 to keep the device, the JioPhone is a perfect deal for such rural users.
“JioPhone is a step towards reaching the next 100 million users. With an installed base of 400 million feature phones in India, the market is large enough for Jio to target feature phone users with disruptive offers and an effective price of rupees zero for a device, ”said Tarun Pathak, senior analyst, Mobile Devices and Ecosystems at Counterpoint Research said IANS.
The Reliance Jio announcement could prove to be a serious disruption to the cellphone industry and further increase the popularity of 4G feature phones - including as a secondary device in urban areas.
“The feature phone segment is still very active in India and nearly half a billion such phones will be sold in the next five years. The feature phone replacement cycle was typically four years, but JioPhone will now shorten that cycle and you will expect a lot of people to upgrade to the new VOLTE-enabled JioPhone, ”said Pathak.
Jio charges this money as a deposit to avoid possible misuse of the device. Beta testing of the Reliance 4G feature phone, known as the JioPhone, will begin on August 15th and pre-reservation for the device will begin on August 24th. The device will be delivered in September.More in news: Get a feel for life on the International Space Station with Street View on Google Maps
For Narinder Kumar, an analyst at Cybermedia Research, the “world's cheapest feature phone” will certainly have an impact on the current market for 2G mobile phones and the entry-level segment for smartphones.
"First of all, JioPhone has greater potential for feature phones that will reach their end of life in the near future," Kumar told IANS.
(With inputs from IANS)
- What is the procurement research method
- What are some indie rock recommended songs
- Has anyone answered their own question here?
- An 87 credit score is bad
- Which aircraft does Lufthansa use?
- How is Algeria's relationship with Mauritania?
- Has Hillary Clinton supporter read WikiLeaks
- Madrid has good public transport
- What is the process of genetic change
- Sex is more addicting than illegal drugs
- Say the E with grace
- How do I get our IGNOU order
- How do you rate a veterinary hospital
- What is the schedule for the MLB playoffs
- Graduates of psychology can apply for data science
- What does the lemon law refer to
- What is real-time processing in computing
- Where can I play bingo online
- What are different methods of contraception
- Where can I find Steinway pianos
- Who is the most inspiring EXO member?
- What are your tips for focused reading
- How many Libyans speak Italian
- Most surgeons come from bad backgrounds