What is the pH of lemonade
Experiment of the month
Almost all drinks are slightly or moderately acidic. Alkaline solutions cause a soapy feeling and are therefore not very attractive. The acid content nevertheless varies significantly - you can find pH values between 2 and 5 in the usual drinks. The first impression is often deceptive ...
Equipment and chemicals:
Beakers, various drinks, pH test strips, indicator paper or pH meters.
Different drinks are tested with pH test strips, indicator paper or pH meters. The drinks can then be sorted according to increasing pH value (schoolchildren in particular are often surprised by the result ...).
Some typical pH levels are:
Cola: pH 2.0-2.5
Lemonade: pH 2.5-3.0
Vinegar: pH 2.5-3.0 (for comparison)
Lemon juice: approx. PH 3.0
Vegetable juices: pH 3.0 - 3.5
Fruit juice drinks: pH 3.0 - 3.5
White wine: pH 3.0 - 3.5
Apple juice: approx. PH 3.5
Red wine: pH 3.5-4.0
Orange juice: approx. PH 4.0
Beer: pH 4.5 - 5.0
sour sparkling water: approx. pH 5.0
Fruits naturally contain acids (especially citric, tartaric and malic acids). These can then also be found in the juices - even if they were made from concentrate. Lemon juice is usually added to vegetable juices (tomato, carrot juice, etc.). Lemonades are mainly mixed with citric acid, cola drinks contain phosphoric acid.
The samples used can be added to the wastewater.
Literature & Links:
C. Jansen: Lecture at the Science Forum Chemistry 2013 in Darmstadt
Mrs Dr. Christa Jansen (Merck KGaA) and Mrs. Petra B. Carbon (Heinrich-Böll-Schule Rodgau) I thank you very much for your support.
August 2013: Alizarin lakes
back to the current experiment
Page created on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013,A. Schunk,Charité - University Medicine Berlin.
No responsibility is taken for the content of external sites!
- Is the Essex accented Cockney
- Is it bad to have pyromania
- Is it good to buy Asus phones
- Should I join the infantry in Canada?
- Why did Erdogan support Maduro in Venezuela
- Where can I go camping in California
- Why shouldn't you date a selfish person?
- Who is a competitor in marketing
- How can I downgrade Windows 10
- How has Quebec preserved its French culture
- Do fish have dry eyes
- How can I formulate further questions
- What is Tarzan's real name
- What is dementia blogspot
- How can you grow colorful succulents?
- What is the legacy of Michelangelo Buonarroti
- What does your first time mean
- What is the theory of self-efficacy
- Did you take part in the Straight Pride Parade?
- What kind of companies need leads
- What was the name of the painting Mona Lisa
- Can a cat die from asthma
- Is pomegranate growing profitable
- Which language translation is so difficult