Are there alligators in Hawaii
Why alligators let themselves freeze voluntarily in winter
The winter time sometimes brings with it rare weather phenomena and natural spectacles. In parts of the USA, the icy winters in recent years have regularly resulted in very special images: the sharp-toothed mouths of alligators protrude from the frozen surface of the water and offer a bizarre sight.
In 2018 and 2019, for example, the alligators froze in the swamps of the Shallotte River Swamp Park in North Carolina. This winter, American media reported frozen alligators in lakes in Oklahoma.
Mississippi alligators instinctively sense when a body of water freezes over
The animals seem lifeless in the ice. The bodies can be seen outlined under the icy surface of the water, only the snouts sticking out of the ice. What at first looks like an involuntary shock freeze, on closer inspection, is a clever survival trick.
The reptiles are neither accidentally frozen nor are they dead. Instead, the Mississippi alligators, which live in the southeastern United States, are deliberately frozen in order to be able to survive extreme cold spells.
Alligator mississippiensis instinctively knows when the water at home will freeze over. However, since frozen water is an absolute death trap for him, the alligator enters the water at the right moment and sticks its nose out before freezing - so that it can continue to breathe despite the ice cover. Then the animal falls into a state that is biologically known as "dormancy" and is similar to hibernation in warm-blooded animals. The metabolism is shut down, body functions are reduced to a minimum and energy is saved.
In this position, the Mississippi alligators are able to survive for up to two or even three months despite the extreme cold. They just wait for the temperature to rise again and the ice to melt. Then the reptiles adjust their body temperature and wake up from the rigor.
The animals spend milder winters comfortably buried in the bank mud or in deeper layers of water.#Subjects
- Why is Sri Lanka not a continent
- Are you helpful for international tourists
- What is an ion
- What are the personal online reputation strategies
- Should the government provide low-income housing
- What does the acronym BBA stand for?
- Will Android tablets exist in the future?
- OneDrive will die
- Why are there saints
- What were Christopher Columbus mistakes
- MBBS students also study dental sciences
- Seattle can be hit by a tsunami
- Cardiac arrest can cause stroke
- How did Liechtenstein become a tax haven?
- Can you do 133 with 3 zeros
- What is the hardest topic in JEE
- What should I give my laws
- How did the term French fries come about?
- How does a printer work 1
- Why am I incomplete without music
- What is particularly appealing about corgis
- Is orange theory fitness good
- Are there people who cannot be redeemed
- Who is tommy lee