Why does Zyrtec cause drowsiness
CetirizineDrug groupsAntihistamines Cetirizine is an antiallergic active ingredient from the group of antihistamines of the 2nd generation. It is used to treat hay fever, allergic rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis and hives. Compared to 1st generation antihistamines, cetirizine causes less fatigue and drowsiness, as it hardly gets into the brain. The effect occurs quickly and lasts for a long time, so that only one dose per day is necessary.
synonymous: Cetirizine, Cetirizini dihydrochloridumPhEur, Cetirizine dihydrochloride, Cetirizine hydrochlorideProducts
Cetirizine is available in the form of film-coated tablets, lozenges and drops (Zyrtec®, generics). It has been approved in Switzerland since 1989.Structure and properties
Cetirizine (C.21H25ClN2O3, Mr = 388.9 g / mol) is a racemate consisting of R.-Levocetirizine and S.-Dextrocetirizine. It is found in medicines as cetirizine dihydrochloride, a white powder that is easily soluble in water. Cetirizine is a piperazine derivative and a carboxylic acid metabolite of hydroxyzine (Atarax®), a 1st generation antihistamine. The R.-EnantiomerLevocetirizine is also commercially available (Xyzal®, generics).
Cetirizine (ATC R06AE07) has antihistamine, antiallergic and anti-inflammatory properties. It has a high selectivity for the H1 receptor and is not anticholinergic or cardiotoxic. Cetirizine crosses the blood-brain barrier only insignificantly and therefore causes less tiredness and drowsiness than antihistamines of the 1st generation; however, both undesirable effects can still occur. The effect occurs quickly and lasts for a long time.
Mechanism of action of antihistamines, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiIndications Dosage
According to the specialist information. The medicines are usually taken once a day with or without meals. In the case of children, the intake can also be divided into two doses (half a dose each) in the morning and in the evening, if necessary.Contraindications
- Terminal renal failure
- Children under 2 years
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Interactions have been reported with theophylline, glipizide and ritonavir. A potentiation of the effect of alcohol could not be proven, nevertheless, as a precaution, cetirizine should not be combined with alcohol.unwanted effects
Possible adverse effects include tiredness and drowsiness, headache, dizziness, agitation, indigestion, diarrhea, dry mouth, urinary retention, tachycardia and visual disturbances.see also
Levocetirizine, antihistamines, hay feverliterature
- Arlette J.P. Cetirizine: a piperazine antihistamine. Clin Dermatol, 1991, 9 (4), 511-3 Pubmed
- Medicinal product information (CH, D)
- Curran M.P., Scott L.J., Perry C.M. Cetirizine: a review of its use in allergic disorders. Drugs, 2004, 64 (5), 523-61 Pubmed
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Portnoy J.M., Dinakar C. Review of cetirizine hydrochloride for the treatment of allergic disorders. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 2004, 5 (1), 125-35 Pubmed
- Tillement J.P., Testa B., Brée F. Compared pharmacological characteristics in humans of racemic cetirizine and levocetirizine, two histamine H1-receptor antagonists. Biochem Pharmacol, 2003, 66 (7), 1123-6 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on February 20, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Is the Charlotte Dental Assistant School accredited
- Are the world religions inappropriate
- How does lastminute com make money
- It's hard to live without friends
- What is the science behind the pleasure
- How do you treat an MSG allergy
- What is forkly
- How do I learn PHP code
- Are curry leaves good for the face
- Mirror reflections go on forever
- Was Turkey stronger than Romania during World War II
- Who are some unknown game developers
- How was your hostel on the last day
- Which cross-browser problems does jQuery
- What evidence supports the Gerson therapy
- Where does the word horny come from?
- What will happen when China finally reunites?
- How can I unblock a CoolPad network
- What is Google's onboarding process
- Which is the closest airport to Bhilai
- What are some sketching tips for beginners
- Why should everyone face mistakes?
- What was your biggest problem
- Which language doesn't use punctuation