How do I start with comics
Everything at the beginning! In no other narrative field does this maxim apply as in graphic storytelling - it was not until 2012, for example, that the American publishing house DC 52 started its series anew. But not only in the context of the serial art of superhero stories do the elements of the ›beginning‹ or ›new beginning‹ become a defining aspect; Against a historical background, it is precisely the question of the ›beginning‹ that comics and comic science have to grapple with again and again.
From 09.-11. September 2016 in Kiel, the conference will be dedicated to the two main themes “Beginning” and “New Beginning” in comics and looking for interdisciplinary approaches to this issue. In addition to approaches that accept the ›beginning‹ of a comic as a formal means and emphasize its narrative-theoretical and stylistic effects in the overall structure of the comic, the question of a beginning of comic science or the medium should be asked as well as a ›beginning ‹Or› New beginning ‹can be thematized as a motif.
We ask for suggestions for contributions that focus on the following questions:
- The ›beginning‹ / ›new beginning‹ as a formula: How do comics (new) begin? How do comic books 'start' (new)? How are the beginnings / beginnings of a series of magazines - again and again?
- The ›beginning‹ / ›new beginning‹ as a narrative, formal, visual strategy: is a beginning always recognizable or necessary? How does a comic start?
- Historical ›beginnings‹ / ›new beginnings‹: Who talks about comics when - and why? Which topics does the comic (new) initiate? How does the comic (on the web, transmedial, cultural) start afresh at the moment?
- Formal ›beginnings‹: (from) When is a comic a comic?
- Intermedial ›Beginnings‹: What happens when the comic leaves the carrier medium and becomes a film (beginnings of the filming of comics and the comic film, adaptation of the template, incorporating or hiding origin stories and reboots etc)?
The conference languages are German and English. If you are interested, please send an abstract for a 20-minute lecture in German or English (abstract size max. 500 words) as well as a short bio-bibliographical information by April 30, 2016 to: [email protected]
Following the conference, selected presentations will be published in the e-journal CLOSURE, issue # 4 (Nov. 2017). Further information on the e-journal and the previous editions can be found at: http://www.closure.uni-kiel.de
In individual cases, a grant can be made towards the costs of travel and accommodation for participants and young researchers. If necessary, please add a short, informal application for this funding to your documents.
- What is half of dfrac 30 150
- Where to get information
- What do bilbies eat in the wild
- What is a daimond duck in cricket
- How important is the framing for your work of art
- Are sugar and yogurt mixed together in a healthy way
- Is Amaravathi already a ghost town
- Can Mederma be used against wrinkles
- What is draft beer
- Does GIMP support the RAW format
- How can I forget a girl
- Watching YouTube ads helps the channel
- Can revolutions take place without massive violent deaths?
- How much salary did the NSG commando get
- What are some tips for better posture
- Why do I always think of suicide
- What are some drugs similar to Wellbutrin
- What is the best course for astronomy
- Why did Putin prefer Trump Hillary
- Which earphones are best for your ears?
- What is your opinion on smoking marijuana
- Robinhood is a good beginner
- What are the deathbed confessions you heard
- Can FBI agents be union members?
- Plants make noises when they are stressed
- What are the seven forms of energy
- All smart TVs have Netflix
- Which is the first video calling app
- How do you say currency in Hausa
- What makes Indian farmers happy
- What is the other term for emphasis
- How do you see Rajinikanth's entry into politics?
- Is the film Thackrey 2019 worth watching