Is Coenzyme Q10 good for cardiovascular health?
Synonyms: Coenzyme Q10, Ubiquinone-10
All living cells need coenzyme Q to generate energy10. The fat-soluble molecule is chemically related to vitamins K and E. The organs with the greatest energy requirement - heart, liver and lungs - have the highest levels of coenzyme Q.10Concentrations in the human body.
Occurrence of coenzyme Q10 in food
Coenzyme Q10 is consumed through a variety of foods and is also produced by the body itself from the amino acids phenylalanine and tyrosine. In addition, the symbiotic bacteria living in the intestine produce coenzyme Q10 and it reaches all organs of the body via the bloodstream. The following foods contain particularly large amounts of coenzyme Q.10:
- Sardines: 6.40 milligrams / 100 grams
- Beef: 3.30 milligrams / 100 grams
- Pork: 3.20 milligrams / 100 grams
- Poultry: 1.80 milligrams / 100 grams
- Olive oil: 3.00 milligrams / 100 grams
- Butter: 0.60 milligrams / 100 grams
- Cheese: 0.40 milligrams / 100 grams
- Broccoli: 0.86 milligrams / 100 grams
- Spinach: 0.36 milligrams / 100 grams
- Paprika: 0.33 milligrams / 100 grams
- Lettuce: 0.22 milligrams / 100 grams
Coenzyme Q10 is contained in meat, fish and many types of vegetables. With a balanced diet, no supplementation with coenzyme Q10 preparations is normally necessary.
www.shutterstock.com, Shutterstock Inc., New York, USA
Coenzyme Q10 requirement
According to the Federal Institute for Consumer Health Protection and Veterinary Medicine (BgVV), there are no health concerns with an intake of 10-30 milligrams per day. Between 5 and 10 milligrams of coenzyme Q are obtained with food10 taken per day, so that additional food supplements are not necessary for healthy people.
Coenzyme Q deficiency10 is rare. However, the coenzyme Q decreases with age10-Concentration decreases in some tissues of the body, especially in the heart; Compared to 20-year-olds, the heart muscle tissue of 80-year-olds only contains about 60 percent of the coenzyme Q10Salary of young adults. Whether this is the normal aging process or whether an additional consumption of ubiquinone would lead to cardiovascular diseases less often is the subject of discussion. Long-term studies on the sole intake of coenzyme Q10 do not exist yet.
Certain drugs, such as cholesterol-lowering statins, inhibit the body's own production of coenzyme Q.10 and its concentration in the cells decreases. In these cases, the attending physician decides on an additional coenzyme Q.10-Gift.
Coenzyme Q10 as a dietary supplement
Lots of coenzyme Q10-Preparations exceed the maximum recommended daily dose. Since 2014, food supplements with a higher dosage may only be sold if the daily amount of 100 mg coenzyme Q10 with a consumption recommendation of one capsule per day is not exceeded. The preparations must also carry a warning that they should not be consumed by pregnant women, breastfeeding women, children and adolescents under 18 years of age. However, their benefit seems questionable, as the positive effects have not been proven biochemically, and the possible risks have not been clearly assessed.
Caution should be exercised in patients taking medicines to prevent blood clotting (anticoagulants). Those affected may use coenzyme Q10 Use only after consulting your doctor, as it affects the effectiveness of these medicines.
Excessive supply of coenzyme Q10
An increase in performance or a strengthening of the immune system through an additional consumption of coenzyme Q.10 was already denied in 2001 by the BgVV and the European Food Safety Authority. Too much Coenzyme Q intake10 can have negative consequences because it promotes the formation of reactive oxygen radicals, which increases the risk of arteriosclerosis and cancer. In addition, side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite with malaise, irritability and skin rashes are conceivable with preparations with doses of more than 100 mg daily.
AuthorsSimone Lang | last changed on at 16:33
- What causes a strong genetic drift
- Have you ever eaten cactus candy
- What does the Google Assistant button do
- Why boo WWE fans Roman Reigns
- Who were the 4 Khalifah in Islam
- Can antitrust laws affect competition?
- What makes a good freestyle dance
- What's potassium in it?
- People really want unbiased news
- Is it safe to travel in Syria?
- Why was Sgt Bowe Bergdahl saved
- How did biology get very complex
- Is romance present in all human cultures
- Who was Emmanuel Levinas
- How do YouTubers grow up so quickly
- Why wasn't Hillary Clinton investigated
- When did it not work to trust your gut?
- How can I track my stolen iPhone?
- Like IIT for girls
- How does Donald Trump continue to write history
- Pit bull is banned in India
- Was Pernell Whitaker a good boxer
- Do you have rule 34
- What is the fastest folding protein