Why are questions brought together on Quora
What is Quora's policy for merging questions?
Questions that mean essentially the same thing should be merged as duplicates. It is crucial for the correct combination of questions that the goals of the questioners who led to these questions are the same. Even if the wording is slightly different, questions should be brought together if you assume thatallAnswers to both questions apply.
Examples of questions that should be merged are simply alternative wordings for the same question. Read through the following questions:
- Can I travel from Cancun to Belize without catching a flight?
- How can I travel from Cancun to Belize without taking a flight?
- Can I travel to Belize from Cancun without a plane?
They all serve the exact same purpose and should be brought together.
Generally speaking, questions that are formulated as follows often serve the same purpose:
- "How do I do X"
- "How to do X"
- "How could I do X"
- "How could you do X"
- "Can I do X"
- "Could I do X"
Examples of questions thatNot should be merged:
- Where are the best tourist attractions in Paris? shouldNotbe merged withWhere is the best view in Paris?because these questions have different goals. Not all tourist attractions have great views, and not all places with great views are tourist attractions.
- How do I prepare for a software developer interview on Google? shouldNot be merged withHow do I prepare for a software developer interview? because while the first question asks for specific advice applicable to Google, answers to the second question may not serve that purpose.
For example, “Is X the best Y?” Should not be merged with “What is the best Y?” Because the goal of “Is X the best Y?” Is to determine to what extent X is or is the best Y Not. The question from users who then end up with “What is the best Y?” Could go unanswered because it is possible that X is not addressed in any of the answers.
It is helpful to look at a few more similar weight loss questions and consider whether or not they should be merged:
- What is the Easiest, Most Effective Way to Lose Weight? should not be merged withHow fast is it safe to lose weight? because the goal of losing weight easily and effectively is different from the goal of losing weight quickly and safely.
- Are there any foods or supplements that actually break fat so I can lose weight easily? should not be merged withHow fast is it safe to lose weight? because the goal of figuring out how to lose weight using foods or supplements is not the same as the goal of losing weight quickly and safely.
- How can I lose weight easily? should not be merged withHow fast is it safe to lose weight? because the goal of simply losing weight is not the same as the goal of losing weight quickly and safely. However, it shouldHow can I lose weight easily?be merged withWhat is the Easiest, Most Effective Way to Lose Weight? because the goal of simply losing weight is usually the same as losing weight in the simplest and most effective way, since few people would like to lose weight inefficiently.
- Can I Lose Weight Without Exercising? should not be merged withHow fast is it safe to lose weight? because the goal of losing weight without exercising and without a specific time frame is not the same as losing weight quickly and safely. However, it shouldCan I Lose Weight Without Exercising? be merged withCan You Lose Weight Without Exercising? because the goal of these two questions is the same.
Pick the best question
When bringing questions together, keep the wording of the question as likely to help as many people as possible. When a question can be phrased in different ways, the best version is the simplest and most general.
Based on our analyzes, the best question is usually the one with the most hits, which is why we choose this as the default view.
Whenever possible, questions should never be asked in the form of survey questions. This means that a question that is not formulated as a survey should never be merged with a survey question.
Should a serious dispute develop over whether two similarly worded words or phrases mean the same thing, it is better to play it safe and not bring them together. It's always easier to merge them later, whereas separating them afterwards can be difficult.
Last but not least, all pooled questions will be reviewed to ensure they are in line with these guidelines and guides.
You can learn more about how questions should be phrased on Quora here: How should questions be phrased on Quora?
- How do you temper chocolate
- How can you make super glue
- The dates for NEET 2018 have been announced
- What is the problem of demographic data
- What Causes Cervical Cancer Other Than HPV
- Is Yosemite Safe to Hike?
- What are some technologically advanced insurance companies
- How will Amazon disrupt the shipping industry
- What is the definition of nothing
- What are social media bots
- Christianity regards self-hatred as a sin
- Was Indra a god or a post
- Why did the punk band Crass UK die
- Where are love handles
- What is snail farming
- Who was Hitler's favorite actor
- Is Egypt against Palestine
- Well worth reading business books
- There were school shootings before Columbine
- Why should I forgive
- Why isn't my new kitten eating
- What are car subscriptions
- A covert narcissist can sometimes be co-dependent
- What is a high density housing