What is your favorite keyword research software
The 15 best keyword tools of 2020 (incl. 2 secret tips)
A blind hen can find a grain.
This is how your Google rankings will fare if you don't use keyword tools. Keyword tools are essential and indispensable for every SEO toolbox.
There are hundreds various keyword research tools on the market. Who should find their way around there?
The good news:
You don't need to find out which ones are good on your own! Because I've tried dozens of tools in my 9 years as an SEO. From free to several hundred euros a month.
In this article, I'll introduce you to the 15 keyword tools I got stuck with. Tools with which I have already found a number of great keywords and which I have been using for research for years.
1. Google tools
Why look into the distance?
Google itself offers great tools for keyword research and analysis. And it's completely free!
With Google Trends you can see how often keywords are entered by Google users in which country and region.
The research tool is very suitable for determining seasonal and regional fluctuations in keywords. Or to estimate whether the search volume for a keyword will decrease or increase.
It's also great for observing your own brand (as you can see in the screenshot above).
A big minus point:
The interest in certain keywords is unfortunately not shown in absolute, but only in relative values to the total search traffic.
- Very good for tracking trends
- Recognize seasonal and regional fluctuations in keyword search traffic
- Search trends daily and in real time
- Google Trends doesn't show keyword data like absolute search volume, CPC or competition
- only partially suitable for getting keyword suggestions
Google Search Console
The Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) is not only an important tool for finding SEO errors on your own website and helping Google to get your website into the search index faster.
It can also be used very well for keyword research and monitoring!
For each website, keywords with ranking, impressions, click rate and number of clicks are displayed. This can help you find great new keywords that you don't yet rank for or could rank even better for.
Why is it important?
Optimizing existing content often brings you results faster and easier than writing new content.
With the new Google Search Console, which was introduced in January 2018, you will no longer see data over 90 days, but over 16 months.
In addition, the user interface has been designed to be clearer and more modern.
An absolute must-have for every website.
- Great for finding opportunity keywords
- Comprehensive statistics on impressions, clicks, positions and CTR
- Comparison of time periods is possible
- The keywords can be displayed on a per-page basis
- No absolute search volume (only impressions)
- Data go back only 16 months
- Only suitable for your own website
Google Ads Keyword Planner
The Google Ads Keyword Planner (formerly Google Adwords Keyword Tool) was the standard tool for keyword research for years.
Unfortunately, it is only of limited use as such.
Since August 2016, keyword ideas only show the exact number of monthly search queries for keywords if you have an active ads campaign.
If you do not have an active campaign, you will be fobbed off with an approximate order of magnitude of 10 - 100, 100 - 1,000, 1,000 - 10,000 etc. (marked in pink in the picture):
The search volume of keywords (e.g. singular and plural) is also summarized in groups, which makes the search volume even more imprecise. That is, for keyword tool, keyword tools or keywordtool the same search volume would be displayed in each case.
However, you can use the Google Keyword Planner to do a bit of trickery to show you a more precise search volume for a keyword.
To do this, select it using the checkbox in the keyword ideas and add it to a plan above.
Then you get to the plan overview. There you select a year as the period in the top right (in the example, Dec. 13, 2018 to Dec. 12, 2019):
Then you divide the displayed impressions (1200) by 12 and get 100 impressions. This means keywordtool has about 100 monthly searches.
However, I find this process too cumbersome. In addition, one must never forget that these are impressions from advertisements and not from search queries per se, which is not 100% congruent.
I therefore advise you to use the KWFinder instead (see below).
- The Google Keyword Planner is free (all you need is a Google Ads account)
- Keyword data comes straight from Google
- Comprehensive filter functions
- Export and import of keyword lists possible
- Display of the CPC for each keyword (which allows conclusions to be drawn about the commercial value and the position in the customer journey)
- Limited number of keyword suggestions
- Exact search volumes only with an active ads campaign
- no competition analysis
Google Suggest (free)
Google Suggest, also called Google Autocomplete, is not a stand-alone tool, but a function in Google search.
Simply enter a keyword on Google and you will automatically be shown further keyword suggestions.
Further down on the search results page, Google also shows similar search queries:
2. Classic keyword tools
A classic keyword tool should definitely not be missing from your SEO toolbox!
Classic keyword tools not only output keyword ideas, but also show other important properties of these keywords, such as: B. monthly search volume, search volume trends, CPC and the associated SERPs.
Price: from € 29.90 / month
The KWFinder (short for Keyword Finder) has been my standard tool for keyword research for about 4 years.
And not without reason:
It not only shows similar keywords or autocomplete suggestions with search volume, trends and CPC, but also shows the associated search results for each keyword.
These are shown together with various link indicators and the Facebook shares in a table to the right of the keyword suggestions.
The user interface is modern, clear and is one of the few tools that can also be used excellently on the smartphone.
That is useful for beginners Keyword Difficulty Score. You can recognize keywords with weak competition by their light and dark green scores, which is very good for an initial assessment:
The import function is also ingenious, with which you can check search volume, CPC etc. of hundreds of keywords at the same time:
So you can z. B. Export keyword lists from AnswerThePublic, SEORCH or another tool and query the keyword data in KWFinder.
In the Basic plan for around € 30 a month you can do 100 keyword queries a day, which is more than enough to get started.
The mangools suite also includes many other useful tools, such as: B. the SERPWatcher for keyword monitoring.
Try now for 10 days for free!
- Modern, clear and mobile-optimized user interface
- Can also be used very well with a smartphone or tablet
- Import function for mass query of keyword data
- Accurate competitor rating with the Keyword Difficulty Score
- Try it for free for 10 days
- Lots of good keyword suggestions
- Generate suggest and question keywords on request
- Display of keywords on a domain basis
- Creation of keyword lists possible
- Many other useful tools within the mangools suite, such as B. a keyword monitoring tool and a backlink checker
- Very good browser extension
- Number of keyword suggestions and searches limited depending on the plan
- Keywords only on a domain basis (not on a page basis)
- It hasn't been a free version for a long time
Price: limited free version, starting at € 24.16 / month
Originally, Ubersuggest was just a simple suggest tool (kind of like SEORCH).
Since internet mogul Neil Patel took it over, it has been given a makeover:
Not only has it got a new, modern interface, but it now also shows you search volumes, the strength of the competition and an overview of the search results.
I mainly use it to get a quick overview of long-tail keywords and their search volume.
But also the function Top sites is useful. You can see which pages of your competing domain get the most traffic and for which keywords they are ranking:
I prefer SEMRush and ahrefs for competitor analysis because the pages are searchable and the data is more precise.
Unfortunately, UberSuggest has only been available to a very limited extent in the free version since February 2020 and the price of the premium version quickly rose to over € 20 per month.
- Clear and modern user interface
- Search results are displayed on the right
- Lots of keyword suggestions including search volume, search volume trends, CPC and difficulty
- Can Top sites Show a domain including the individual keywords for which each page ranks (by far the best function of UberSuggest)
- Other useful tools, such as B. an on-page audit
- Is being developed further at a rapid pace (to a complete SEO suite)
- Rapid price development (price for the cheapest tariff recently jumped from 90 € to 290 € per year)
- Free version only partially usable (no export function, only 20 keyword suggestions with search volume)
- no import function
- Requires a link to your own Google account and approval of the data from the Google Search Console
- Sometimes slow performance
- Top sites not searchable and not sortable (annoying with very large websites)
3. Suggest tools
When you enter a keyword into a suggest tool, you get a list of keyword suggestions (excluding search volume and other data). You can enter these as a list in the KWFinder or another tool.
Price: from € 11.90 / month
HyperSuggest is a great tool that I only discovered last year and have been using it more and more since then.
I especially like that HyperSuggest can generate autocomplete suggestions from many different sources such as:
- W questions (from Google search)
- Google Images
- Google shopping
- Google News
The tool is easy to use and clearly laid out.
Generated keywords can be copied to the clipboard or exported in various formats (CSV, Excel, TXT, JSON, XML or SQL).
I mainly use HyperSuggest to get a quick overview of the long-tail keywords of a topic or to add data from YouTube, Amazon or eBay to my keyword clusters.
Unfortunately, HyperSuggest is of limited use in the free version, as only the first 10 keyword suggestions are displayed.
However, full access to the keyword generators for Google search, W-questions and Google Images is relatively cheap at € 11.90 per month (with annual payment).
Additional add-ons are also available, e.g. B. to display the exact search volume.
Answer The Public
Price: Free, Pro version from $ 79 / month
Answer the Public is a great keyword tool for finding long-tail keywords.
It collects suggestions from Google search and arranges them by prepositions and questions:
It is also very suitable for finding out the various search intentions behind a keyword and getting to know the target group better.
For example, the diagram above shows that users searching for the very general keywordsearch engine optimization search on google:
- are on the Jimdo and WordPress platforms
- are mainly beginners
- small and medium-sized enterprises, such as B. Doctors, hotels, lawyers, photographers etc.
- want to read instructions or an overview
Firstly, this helps you to tailor your content to the needs of search engine users and to better answer their questions.
Second, you can better understand the different aspects of a topic. This makes it easier for you to structure blog articles in terms of content and to find subheadings.
The only drawback:
AnswerThePublic does not display any keyword data such as search volume, CPC and Co. So you need third-party tools for this.
- What is it like to be a geophysicist
- Is Jougan stronger than Tenseigan
- What preparations are eaten with fish scales
- Do boxer dogs shed in the spring
- What would you like to tell America
- You have to learn
- Eating spinach will increase your Hb levels
- How is vape safer than cigarettes
- Neosporin slows down wound healing
- What is an essay declaration
- What happens to Voyager Spacecraft
- Why are many servers installed under Unix
- What was the first currency
- Transfer AppleCare Warranties
- Which artist sang the song Inside out
- How do I sell a famous lithograph
- Why is Elon Musk working so hard
- What is a contraction joint
- What vitamin deficiency causes cracked skin
- Everyone has an internal conflict over what is yours
- What is the address of the local host 8080
- What is Oxycontin
- How do asexuals see the world differently?
- What is Brent Crude