Can you answer questions about Obama's presidency
Can a US President pardon himself?
In general, according to the constitution, every US president has the right to issue pardons. Many US presidents have made use of this right in the past. Especially just before the end of their term in office. However, it is unclear whether a US president can pardon himself. At least nothing of this is in the American Constitution. This means that self-pardon is neither allowed nor forbidden. If it did, the Supreme Court would have to decide whether or not it is lawful.
To date, there has not been a US president in the entire history of the United States who has tried to show mercy towards himself.
Watergate affair: Ex-Vice Ford pardons ex-President Nixon
To get around the problem of self-pardon, the US president could step down and appoint his deputy. The vice-president, as acting president, could then pardon the resigned president. But this would also have to be ready.
One such case occurred in September 1974, when US President Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon, who had resigned a month earlier because of the Watergate affair. Ford had been Vice President under Richard Nixon. He was afraid that an indictment and possible conviction of Nixon could tear the US apart. This decision backfired for him in the end. He fell in favor of the electorate and lost the 1976 presidential election to Democrat Jimmy Carter.
The text and audio of this post are licensed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license.
Top of the picture: Republican Richard Nixon (center) says goodbye to the White House staff and members of his cabinet after his resignation. Left daughter Julie with her husband David Eisenhower, right next to him his wife Pat and daughter Patricia with her husband Edward Cox.
- Broadcast on
- In which country is the city of Prague located
- An oxygen level of 93 is bad
- How can I edit motion capture footage
- What are the best email security tips
- Is married to Robert Frost
- How does PayUmoney 1
- Why do only scarce goods attract the price?
- Why are all polar bears left-handed
- What is Sufism Why are Sufis good
- Why is a typewriter obsolete 1
- How do people react to things
- What are common poker scripts
- Say the E with grace
- Why do I always think of suicide
- Who are the best writers from Italy
- Is the Canon 6D good for video
- Does anyone like homemade chocolates
- How do I enter a formula
- What is the point of humanity
- Is AWS a SaaS
- How many series are there in Transformers
- What is the chemical formula of nichrome
- Neosporin slows down wound healing
- Why your resume sucks resume