What are ship launched ballistic missile

navigation

This content was published on August 24, 2016 - 4:58 am (Keystone-SDA)

Despite bans, the North Korean military has launched another ballistic missile, according to South Korean information. The missile was fired from a submarine off the east coast of the country and went down in the Sea of ​​Japan after a flight of around 500 kilometers.

Japan reacted indignantly to the missile test on Wednesday. According to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, it was the first time a North Korean missile had reached a sea area within the Japanese air surveillance zone. Such air defense areas do not coincide with the airspace of a country.

The rocket launch was "a major threat to national security" and an "unheard of action," Abe told journalists. Japan lodged a protest with North Korea. As early as August, the flight of a North Korean medium-range missile as far as the vicinity of the Japanese coast had triggered fierce criticism in Tokyo and in the west.

The General Staff of the South Korean Armed Forces suspected that North Korea had chosen the time of the current missile test in order to protest against the ongoing American-South Korean maneuvers. With the test, North Korea is clearly violating existing UN resolutions, according to the South Korean news agency Yonhap.

Progress with every missile

North Korea has carried out numerous missile tests in the past few months, including medium-range missiles. The country is prohibited from launching missiles using ballistic missile technology by UN resolutions.

The communist regime in Pyongyang aims to develop missiles that can carry a nuclear warhead. South Korea and the US fear that with each new test of a submarine-based ballistic missile, North Korea will make new technical advances. Missiles fired from a submarine are more difficult to detect than from land-based launchers.

UN sanctions tightened

After a new North Korean nuclear test in January - the country's fourth - and the controversial launch of a space rocket in February, the situation in the region is very tense. The UN Security Council had tightened sanctions against Pyongyang.

At the beginning of the week, North Korea threatened a first nuclear strike at the start of an annual military maneuver by the US and South Korea. North Korea's People's Army placed the two countries under the authority of preparing a nuclear war on the peninsula on Monday.

If there were the slightest signs of aggression, North Korea would "turn the stronghold of provocation into a heap of ashes with a Korean-style first strike," an army spokesman was quoted as saying by the state media.

The USA and South Korea deny the usual accusations of the regime in Pyongyang, which is internationally isolated because of its nuclear program, of preparing an attack with their military exercises. North Korea had been informed of the start of the current maneuver, the US armed forces told Korea in South Korea, as usual.

This article was automatically imported from our old editorial system to our new website. If you come across display errors, we ask for your understanding and a hint: [email protected]