French toast can be crispy or soft
Very simple and very delicious: Poor knights are always well received! For children and adults, filled or pure, under the name of French toast or paves, Carthusian dumplings or breadcrumbs. Depending on the country of origin, type of bread and refining ingredients, the poor knights are called differently. What they all have in common is that they are an ingenious way of recycling leftovers.
Poor knights are sweet dishes or desserts made from stale bread, toast or rolls. I recommend my homemade white bread in a box; but of course a bought one will do as well. The bread slices are dipped in a mixture of eggs, milk or cream and a little sugar, then baked in hot fat until crispy. As a side dish, fresh berries taste just as good as applesauce, vanilla sauce and cinnamon sugar. Poor knight recipes existed long ago - more precisely, something similar in ancient Rome. When I was a child, we traditionally ate the delicacy on Good Friday under the name of Carthusian dumplings (or Kaiserschmarrn). That's why today, just before Easter, the recipe for you 😉. My grandma bought some rolls for this a few days in advance, which were then allowed to get really nice and dry.
The differences between French toast and Co are simple: While the classic sweet knights are mostly made from old white bread slices, American French toast (of course) consists of toast bread slices. who Poor knight with bun want to do, the bark can rub off or cut off.
This is how you make grandma's poor knight recipe
In some recipes it is recommended to only soak the rolls in egg yolk and milk and then "bread" them with egg white and breadcrumbs. I'd rather show you how Poor knight according to grandma's recipe be made. These are of course the very best 😉
By the way: There are many other great recipes that are similar to the one for Poor Knights. For example pyre from the baking dish. Nevertheless, we usually stick to the classic. Always good!
Note: I published this post for the first time in 2018 and last updated in 2021.
You can find this and all other recipes in our APP
- 8 slices of old white bread, approx. 1.5 cm thick, or toast bread
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 200 milliliters of milk
- 40 grams of sugar
- 5 tablespoons oil or clarified butter, for frying
- powdered sugar
- Briefly toast the stale bread slices or toast. Whisk eggs well with milk and sugar so that there are no more lumps.
- Place the bread slices individually in a deep plate or bowl and soak briefly in the egg milk. Turn once. The slices should be soaked but not softened.
- Heat some oil, butter or clarified butter in two pans. Bake the bread on both sides over medium heat until golden brown (takes approx. 5 minutes in total). Dust the poor knights with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- My simple white bread as well as any white bread I have bought are suitable as bread.
- Alternatively, use toast slices for French toast and cut in half diagonally to form triangles. Use bread rolls for Kartaue dumplings.
- Bread and rolls have to be a few days old and rather dry. Briefly toasting before soaking and baking is optional, but it ensures that the bread does not fall apart so easily.
- Which is the oldest sea
- How does the food pyramid help us
- What are the top 10 data cables
- How do I find customers for export
- How did the term French fries come about?
- Where were you conceived
- What is CA squared
- What is Bill Gates Most Awesome Code
- Sells Amazon original phone chargers
- What is meant by currency devaluation
- Why are Tottenham Hotspur such bottle jobs
- Do you hear the people sing
- Is your wife a good mother
- Is ux design the new snake oil
- Do you have a favorite pet?
- What is the pH of lemonade
- Is ideology and realpolitik incompatible
- What is a turtle weakness
- Who controls the internet speed
- Live the future
- What are the quintessential protein cocktails
- Who called biology
- Why do I keep wetting myself
- Can lamictal lower motivation