What emergency should you be prepared for?
Be prepared for an emergency
For employees in daycare and school, parents and children, it is important to be informed about the allergy, its triggers, risks and opportunities for help and to deal with it. The focus is on agreeing sensible measures to avoid allergens.
RECOMMENDED ACTION IN AN EMERGENCY
When planning excursions, parties or the like, check that the following documents are up-to-date and ask the parents again whether anything has changed.
✓ Questionnaire on the intolerance of the child
✓ List of allergy triggers with compatible substitute products
✓ Emergency plan with entry of medication and location of the emergency kit
✓ Certificate of authorization from parents to administer medication
✓ Emergency kit with the child's name is available (storage location)
- Anaphylactic reactions are rare as the focus is on avoiding the trigger, BUT: Anaphylaxis is a serious condition that requires quick action in an emergency.
- Emergency management is the safety net that is only used if there is accidental contact with the allergy trigger.
- Depending on the severity of the reaction, the time until the emergency doctor arrives can be too long, so that the child is dependent on life-sustaining first aid measures on the part of the daycare / school or day care staff.
- The first aid measure in an anaphylactic emergency consists of the administration of the appropriate medication and the correct positioning of the child.
- The handling and application of the adrenaline autoinjector (pen) can be learned quickly and easily. Adrenaline is an endogenous substance that helps quickly in an emergency and when administered correctly is not a problem for children.
- The medication is to be administered according to a doctor's prescription. For this purpose, the parents must present a written instruction from the doctor about the medication, which should be clearly and unequivocally described (anaphylaxis emergency plan of the DAAB).
- The authorization of the specialist to administer medication is regulated in a written agreement, the so-called "transfer of personal care to the organizational area of responsibility of the day-care center", between the parents and the provider (DAAB authorization certificate).
- The medication is labeled with the child's name and must be kept out of the reach of children in a safe place with instructions and all important information.
- The emergency medication must be taken by the specialists on excursions.
- Employees and representatives must be appointed for the administration of the drug. However, ideally every person who works in the daycare / school should be informed and involved
- Training pens for the various adrenaline autoinjectors without needles and medication are available for training, with the help of which the application can be trained at regular intervals.
- With an adrenaline training pen in the daycare / school, the other children can also see the medication and the type of treatment and start talking about it.
- Inform the day care center / school about the child's allergy.
- Provide written documents and clearly labeled medication.
- Submit updated anaphylaxis emergency plan with the photo of the child.
- Replace medication after expiry or after use.
- Practice behavior in an emergency with everyone involved.
- Provide information on emergency contacts.
- Schools the child in self-management with the allergy in accordance with their age so that they know how and when to notify caregivers if allergic symptoms arise.
Responsibility of the day care center / school
- Integrate children with food allergies: The allergy must not be an exclusion criterion for activities within the framework of the facility.
- It must be ensured that the allergy triggers are not used in meals or projects or that an appropriate management is carried out so that there is no contamination.
- Facility staff who are in contact with the child must be aware of the allergy, recognize the symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction and know what to do in an emergency.
- Practice emergency management measures based on the anaphylaxis emergency plan.
- It must be ensured that the emergency kit for emergency aid is kept in an easily accessible, safe place that is easily accessible.
When implementing inclusive play and learning situations, the focus is on supporting the children in getting to know and understand their individual needs and interests better.
Practical opportunities around theto promote common situations
Example: Allergies / intolerance theme day. Playing, learning and eating situations as an occasion to address intolerances:
- When looking at a picture book in which food is depicted, food allergies and experiences with them can be addressed. Certainly there are also children with other allergies who can be discovered through play.
- A morning circle or a children's conference can be used to discuss allergies and how to deal with them. This can initiate discussions and promote the exchange of questions and experiences of the children on the topic. This also gives employees an insight into the children's level of knowledge to date.
- The interior design can stimulate exchange among the children, for example through a play area with wooden or fabric foods or a shop.
- Food in the kindergarten kitchen can be explored together with the children and, for example, a picture of a nut can be stuck on if it contains nuts. Together they can consider what could be bought as an alternative.
- The DAAB children's website www.alleleland.de also offers lots of playful suggestions on allergies, asthma and neurodermatitis as well as other helpful information.
We are happy to help. Just contact us
- Why do stores leave outlet malls
- What are the best real-time bid strategies
- You can trade Forex on Questrade
- What are foods that have five letters
- How does cannabis affect people with mania
- Which laptop is good for mining?
- Married Padmavati Ratan Singh or Ashoka
- How do you feel about male circumcision?
- What does salt do to you
- Deceive the warriors
- Why is Bach so famous
- How are internships in IIT Bhubaneswar CSE
- Should we ban plastic surgery
- What kind of trees practice SAP
- What is the value of 34
- Who automatically qualifies for the world championship
- What are some great vision statements
- Who is the head of the EPA
- Why are Japanese cars not popular in Europe?
- Lil Pump went to Harvard
- What is a theoretical flame temperature
- What is the concept of speed reading
- Are Apple or Dell computers more effective?
- How can I catch my narcissistic husband