How to move the cursor in Excel
Tips »Computer» Windows »How to move around an Excel spreadsheet without changing the current cell
If you navigate in an Excel table with the keyboard instead of the mouse, the marking that highlights the current cell moves with it. Sometimes this is annoying because you have to find your way back to the old position. A simple push of a button changes this behavior.
How to move around a table without moving the selection
- Press the key [Roll] or [Scroll Lock] at the top right of the keyboard.
- In response, an LED should light up on the keyboard.
- In addition, Excel writes the text in the status line at the bottom left rollto indicate the changed mode.
- If this mode is activated, the table is immediately shifted by one row or column with the arrow keys, whereby the marking remains fixed on the current cell. In normal mode, the worksheet does not move until the marker touches the edge of the screen.
Note that there is an easier way of moving purely vertically in the worksheet: the mouse wheel takes you up or down without changing the selected cell. By [Ctrl] + [Backspace] you will then get back to the marking.
Special keyboard shortcuts when roll is active
Some buttons work differently in this mode:
- With the button held down [Ctrl] and the arrow keys you always jump a whole screen height or width in the respective direction. For vertical movement, the buttons cause [Picture on] and [Picture down] the same thing.
- The shortcut key [Ctrl] + [Backspace] brings you back to the original position very quickly.
How to switch the mode roll out
Usually the easiest way to do this is again [Roll] to operate. However, there are cases where you have accidentally activated the mode and cannot easily switch it off again, for example with a laptop keyboard or in a virtual machine.
If you are using a laptop, look for the key [Roll] with the special assignments of the function keys, which are often printed in a different color. It becomes relatively common [Roll] through the combination [Fn] + [F5] reached.
If that doesn't work, start the on-screen keyboard, which simulates a full PC keyboard, and press the key at the top right.
- What does fresco mean in Spanish
- How is the President Tempore elected
- What is the meaning of make sure
- A data storage amount can be negative
- What is a feeling of flight
- Which is the largest city in Mississippi
- What's your favorite vegan Easter recipe
- How do I register for OCJP
- What are some friendship red flags
- There are free art competitions online
- Scott Shaw is kidding
- Will Messi play at the Rio Olympics
- How many calories does a cheese contain?
- The Hindu population is declining after independence
- What is dissociation in psychology
- What are the features of QuickBooks Desktop
- What celebrities live in your state
- How can Cymbalta cause insomnia
- Sri Lanka is the headquarters of Buddhism
- Who runs Shell oil companies
- What do you like about ice stock sport?
- What do some shit Israelis say
- Are migraines inherited in children
- In which countries is commercial surrogacy legal?