What especially made old televisions superfluous
The correct seat distance from the television
From TECHBOOK | December 04, 2020, 3:35 p.m.
How far should you sit away from the television and is it always better to go further away? In the meantime, the opposite is true, especially with 4K televisions: the closer, the better. TECHBOOK explains.
This topic is often discussed: What is the perfect sitting distance from the television? Because with the advent of ever higher resolution screens, old rules of thumb from the tube era became superfluous. Suddenly it means again: get closer to the television! But how close? TECHBOOK explains it.
The resolution and TV size determine the distance between the seats
The correct seat distance from the television results from several factors. The aim should be to sit far enough away that you can no longer see individual pixels, but you also don't sit so far away that details are lost.
The most important thing here is what you want to watch on the television, because the level of detail of an analog television transmission is significantly lower than that of an HD stream or a 4K film (with four times the HD resolution). The screen diagonal of the television is also important: the larger the screen, the larger the individual pixels. However, 4K televisions have such a high resolution that it hardly matters - that's why you can sit closer to the screen here than with HD TVs.
In addition, with all the technical factors, you shouldn't disregard what you yourself consider to be a good distance. The closer you sit in front of the television, the more your eyes have to wander over the screen - some people can find that exhausting in the long run. And the ideal sitting position can also change depending on your eyesight.
Rules of thumb for the correct sitting distance from the television
So when trying to find the right distance from the TV to sit on, there are a number of rules of thumb that can be used. It is also worth paying attention when buying the TV and, if necessary, measuring beforehand at home how big the distance between the couch and the TV will be.
The following rules of thumb require the screen diagonal in centimeters. Traditionally, however, this is given in inches. One inch is the equivalent of 2.54 centimeters. A screen with a diagonal of 40 inches has a diagonal of 101.6 centimeters - a good one meter.
A question of resolution
Analog television:If you mainly watch analog television on the TV, then it is advisable to sit a little further away from the television. The analog TV picture is low-resolution and modern TVs can upscale the picture, but they cannot conjure up picture details either.
If you watch mainly analog TV, the following rule of thumb is recommended: The screen diagonal in centimeters multiplied by the factor 3. Calculated using an example, this means for a 40 inch television: 101.6 centimeters * 3 = 304.8 centimeters. So you should sit around 3 meters away.
HD:With an HD image with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, you can get a good deal closer. In this case, Samsung recommends determining the distance between the seats for in-house televisions with a factor of 2.1.
In the example with a 40-inch television this gives: 101.6 centimeters * 2.1 = 213.4 centimeters. This means a distance of just over 2 meters.
4K:And you can get even closer with 4K footage. The resolution of 3840 x 2160 allows even sharper details and can therefore also be viewed from closer up. Here the multiplier shrinks to 1.5. Sitting so close to the TV is only worthwhile if you are actually watching 4K videos.
In the example of the 40-inch television, this would result in a calculation of 101.6 centimeters * 1.5 = 152.4 centimeters - i.e. only 1.5 meters. Of course, you don't want to sit so close in front of the television to a certain extent. This also explains why the high 4k resolution is only really worth it if you have a really big TV. With the 40-inch TV mentioned in the example, you quickly sit too far away to make out clear differences between HD and 4k anyway.
- How did Obama feel about Russia
- Why is wind energy slowing down in Germany
- What are the degrees of arson
- Why is black licorice still a thing
- On which island is Mauna Kea located
- What is your personal story of perseverance
- Who are the enemies of Xi Jinping
- What is the difference between the GST calculation
- What place has free bypass surgery
- What is executive education
- How does Flipkart Mobile Exchange work
- Why don't my friendships last
- Can I burn fat with Campari?
- What is Philadelphia's zip code
- Can a commercial student become an engineer
- Dip or pour your sauces in
- Do we need energy management solutions
- Is there always a Planck length between the particles
- How has social media made life worse
- Why do some thyroid problems go undetected
- Why are people attacking your character
- Is Saakashvili the modern day Garibaldi or Lafayette
- What is a quick hack course
- Google Tag Manager is easy to understand
- How do I get mad
- Believe in God 1
- Is oat milk good for you
- How safe is drinking water in the city
- What Causes Cervical Cancer Other Than HPV
- Echinacea cures a sore throat
- Xcode alternative for Windows
- Are the Germans flirtatious
- What's wrong with the word love
- How is cutlery and crockery different