Do the teachers wish that the parents would be more involved?
7 tips for teachers: increase student motivation to learn
Too much pressure from outside: The motivation to learn decreases | © iStock.com/robh
Content of this article:Show
At the beginning of their school days, children eagerly soak up everything new to be learned. You ask a lot of questions, want to research connections and are enthusiastic about the new findings. This learning from the inner drive is also called intrinsic motivation and, according to learning researchers, creates the best conditions for learning.
Too much pressure from outside: The motivation to learn decreases
But motivational researchers are increasingly pointing out the discrepancy between school practice and the actual needs of students. The older the children get, the more the pressure to perform increases. The extrinsic motivation, i.e. external motivation through rewards such as good grades, comes into focus. In the process, many students lose the fun of learning, the natural thirst for knowledge decreases and frustration arises. In this phase, teachers also find it more difficult to motivate their students.
Scientists from psychology, education, and neuroscience have been trying to find out why for many years. Scoyo also dealt with this topic and published a whitepaper on the topic of "increasing learning motivation". The main question was under what conditions, with what tools and methods students learn better and acquire knowledge sustainably and with joy.
This is what students want: projects, everyday relevance, digital media and more independence
Various approaches are known from motivational research as to how teachers and parents can motivate students. A study on learning with fun by scoyo shows that the ideas of children, parents and experts are closely related: more project work, everyday learning content, a broad media mix and more independent learning are important keywords and wishes to increase the motivation to learn in the long term. In addition, a student survey by scoyo found that children prefer to deal with learning content when they are wrapped in exciting stories.
Teachers can also use the online learning platform scoyo with their school classes and follow up, deepen and practice the school material in imaginative learning stories. More information about the possible uses in schools and teaching institutions can be found here. You can also try scoyo for free:
Learn motivated for school with scoyo:
In addition to the “how?” The question arises as to “what” the students learn. In the 21st century it is becoming more and more important to get to know and apply methods, i.e. to learn to learn. Because facts can now be researched online at any time.
But how can teachers specifically incorporate these aspects into their lessons? We'll tell you the best tips on how to do it without much effort increase the motivation of your students to learn can include creative learning methods for students.
7 practical tips for teachers to keep your students motivated in the long term:
- Explain to your students the context of the learning material, why it is relevant in everyday life and what the individual learning steps are. When students are involved in the learning process, they are more engaged.
- Let your students learn with their heads, hearts and hands. Differently stressed senses address different regions of the brain. In this way, students process what they have learned more intensively and retain it sustainably.
- Package the content in exciting stories that convey the situations in which the new knowledge could be helpful - either in the form of projects or playfully with digital teaching aids. In this way, the motivation to learn can almost be increased by itself.
- Look for a good one Mix of methods in the classroom of practical, teacher-driven and computer-aided learning units to get attention and motivate students.
- Also involve practitioners from parenting in the classroom in order to convey the practical relevance of a certain subject matter.
- Let your students give you feedback and actively try to change things. This is how you create a trusting relationship.
- Treat students as individuals by responding to your students' needs and taking into account the different types of learning and motivation.
The types of motivation at a glance:
- Peer-dependent motivational type: Most students can be assigned to this type of motivation. You are heavily influenced by classmates and friends.
- Teacher-dependent motivation type: With this type of motivation, the teachers have a strong influence on the students' enthusiasm for learning.
- Peer and teacher dependent motivational type: For students of this type, the quality of school relationships with teachers and classmates is crucial.
- Peer- and teacher-independent motivation type: Neither the class nor the teachers play a role in motivating students in this group. They are the least likely to fit into the traditional school system.
- Which actress kissed in the navel
- Himalayan salt lamps wear off
- What is the difference between allantoin and petrolatum
- Does a scooter have a clutch
- How do you hurt a sociopath
- How important is customer review to people
- Are narcissistic psychopaths
- We were too hard for George Lucas
- Are gastroenterologists in Ayurveda
- YouTube is considered a search engine
- The church is your second home
- What is a good major or job
- You may be allergic to clothing
- What are above-ground pools made of
- Which websites are similar to Shutterstock
- How can poems be improved
- Who was stronger Worf or Spock?
- What are Indian farmers killing themselves?
- What is the meaning of make sure
- Who do astronauts work for
- Why did George Washington go to Washington
- Do men know other men
- Why didn't Matthew Perry marry Courteney Cox
- Why did Soleio leave Facebook
- Why did Ok Boomer become so popular
- How is a peristaltic pump used
- Who funded NextStop.com
- Are Cadillacs good vehicles
- A grade calculator is useful
- How are erythrocytes produced in the bone marrow
- Sitefinity has an e-commerce function
- How can vinegar remove an egg shell
- How does the gene flow work