Are whole grains bad for you
Are Whole Grains Really Healthier?
Bread, rolls, pasta, cereal, biscuits or chips: almost every cereal product is also available in a wholemeal variant - even chicken and fish are breaded with wholemeal. "Mehrkorn", "Volles Korn", "Vollkorn" or "Körner" are the trade names. But how do you recognize real whole grains?
Strict legal requirements
The term "whole grain" is protected by law: If "whole grain" is on the packaging, 90 percent of the grain must have been ground from the surface layer, the seedling and the endosperm.
The outer layers of the grains are full of fiber
A particularly healthy component of the grain is the seedling. It contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and unsaturated fatty acids. But it also makes whole wheat flour rancid faster. The outer layers of the grains are just as valuable: they contain fiber, which makes us digest our food more slowly. As a result, blood lipids only rise slowly and the colon is strengthened. In addition, the fiber ensures a longer feeling of satiety.
Be careful with cookies and breakfast cereals
But be careful: whole grain products have no fewer calories than products made from refined flour. Biscuits and breakfast cereals made from whole grain are only supposedly healthier, because the information on the whole grain content only relates to the cereal contained. For example, there can be much more sugar in the biscuits than in a comparable non-whole grain product - and cheap palm oil, which is suspected of promoting the development of diseases. Many breakfast cereals also contain so much sugar that the healthy whole grain content is virtually eliminated.
Bread, pasta and rice are recommended
Those who mainly want to eat whole grains should concentrate on bread, pasta and rice - and study the ingredient lists carefully. The pressure test helps when buying bread: If the inside of the bread sticks together and then springs back, it contains a lot of whole wheat flour.
By the way: healthy wholemeal bread doesn't have to be dark. However, beet or caramel syrup or barley malt extract is often used to make the bread brown and appear healthy to the customer.
Interview partner in the post:
Dr. Heike Niemeier
Heinrich-Barth-Strasse 5, 20146 Hamburg
Tel. (0172) 413 01 65
Ahnsbecker Strasse 4-6, 29331 Lachendorf
What belongs in good bread?
Germany is known for its variety of bread and rolls. What are the characteristics of good bread? Which ingredients are allowed in and how does it stay fresh for a long time? more
This topic in the program:
Visit | 01/17/2017 | 8:15 pm
- How did you get your first internship
- Can two people have the same relationship
- How do I win every Vainglory battle
- Is phenol a disinfectant
- What are the properties of a brick
- Use of wireless headphones causes radiation
- What is 3 2 +2 3 2
- What is CFRP in civil engineering
- Will NYC subway cars ever evolve?
- How long does a locust plague last
- What is the value of 105 1
- How do I try out an instrument
- Do you know someone with brain damage
- Who was the least popular Pope?
- What is it like to live in Pattaya
- Is arachnophobia irrational
- Which Indian celebrities have foreign citizenships
- Why did Harbhajan hit Sreesanth
- Is sushi originally made in China
- Is there split screen multiplayer on a PC
- I want to know his last name
- What is the IUPAC name of C2H6
- Alcohol can ruin your appetite
- Are there digital touch desks
- Mention some tips for improving math skills
- When is orthognathic surgery required?
- How can I send international SMS
- Are there certain travel personalities
- How do I start doing metal
- What are the best aroma diffusers available
- What's your favorite vegan Easter recipe
- All startups do SEO
- Which textbooks contain the production of electronic music
- Rarely read printed books these days