Where is the Alexandria lighthouse located
The lighthouse on the island of Pharos off Alexandria
It was founded by Alexander the greatwho had spectacular buildings erected here. Alexander the Great (356 BC - 323 BC) intended this city as the capital of his mighty empire. But he never saw her because he died very early. After his untimely death he was buried here in a mausoleum. Under the general Ptolemy I. and his successors, who ruled Egypt for some 300 years, Alexandria was a center of trade and education and the second largest city in the world after Rome.
The city of Alexandria - a port city on the delta of the River Nile - which lies on the Egyptian Mediterranean coast, is now the third largest city in North Africa.
This city also achieved world fame because the first large lighthouse in the world was built here.
The architect and builder Sostratos received the order to start construction from Ptolemy I - the idea for this building, however, came from Alexander the Great.Under the rule of Ptolemy II, the approximately 122 meter high structure was completed. Due to its stable construction, the lighthouse of Alexandria, which is also named after the island on which it stood, "Pharos of Alexandria" called, survived more than a thousand years and also survived several earthquakes. The island of Pharos lay in front of the port of Alexandria and was connected to the mainland by a causeway. Due to the lack of natural landmarks in the area, it was felt necessary to mark the entrance to the port in a special way. Because of the already busy shipping traffic at that time, the ships had to enter and leave at night. Therefore, a large beacon burned at the top of the tower, which is said to be so bright that you could see it more than 50 kilometers from the coast.
The lighthouse itself - built of white marble - had three floors that narrowed towards the top.What was striking was the different shape of these floors, which, however, are depicted very differently on the old coins of the second century AD. The threefold structure of the building described in Arabic sources can only be seen clearly on a few pieces. As the youngest wonder of the world, the “Pharos of Alexandria” outlived all others with the exception of the Great Pyramid. In an earthquake in 796 AD, however, it was badly damaged and almost completely destroyed. Around 1480 a fortress was built on the ruins. At the point where Fort Kait Bey stands today, some of the foundations of the ancient lighthouse can still be seen.
Image 1: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Pharos_of_Alexandria.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain coins 2 and 3: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Roman_coin_alexandria_lighthouse.gif
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_domain Image 4: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Alexander_the_great_1.jpg
From 1889 edition of _Principal Coins of the Ancients_ Public Domain scans offered by ESnible from his site
- What is the market for dental implants
- INTJ how do people fall in love
- What is homogeneous parenchymal echo texture
- Where can you sell desktop computers
- Analytical chemistry is a tough class
- Is Durmstrang a castle
- How do I prepare Britannia cakes
- What is the process of making umbrellas
- What attracts assertive and dominant men
- How does Seroquel work
- How are CVs shortlisted during on-campus recruitment
- Which animals are often mistaken for insects?
- What are some outstanding art films worldwide
- What emergency should you be prepared for?
- What functions does a task manager have
- Who processes great value pickles
- Lyrics Who prey is it
- What is Heisenberg known for?
- Are Topcoder coders really smart?
- When did click funnels become important?
- What is game frame 1
- What is the easiest way to project the population
- How do I change a passport
- How does Velofel work
- What is TRAPPIST 1
- Why do onions make people cry
- Sets a pointer to zero when deleting
- How many people work at Panic Inc.
- Could anything ever stop time
- What aspects of 1984 come true
- Is Katakuri's conqueror Haki stronger than Doflamingos
- What are some great Mario Balotelli stories
- Why do the Japanese take off their shoes