What are SEO Tips for Magento Ecommerce
Configure Magento SEO yourself
Optimizing your Magento shop for search engines also means optimizing the shop for your own visitors. There are some adjusting screws that can be optimized for Magento SEO and that without having to hire a professional. Fortunately, Magento is inherently SEO-friendly, so you don't have to configure everything from scratch.
SEO-friendly headlines and texts
The content on the pages should be structured. The headings should be defined with h1 to h6, text blocks separated by a paragraph p.
Please note that the h1 heading can only appear once on the page. The page, category or product title should appear here. All other headings are then defined in descending order with h2 to h6. The number does not matter here, but the headings should also be defined according to their weighting.
Words highlighted in bold (strong, b) also help the search engine to identify the keywords on the page.
The keyword for the respective page should make up a maximum of 2% of the total text, but the value is controversial. Above all, don't forget one thing: you write for your customers, not for the search engine.
Search engine friendly URLs for Magento SEO
Right from the start, you should rely on search engine friendly URLs. These can be conveniently configured in the backend. To do this, make the following settings:
- System> Configuration> Web> URL Options> Add StoreCode to URLs> No.
- System> Configuration> Web> URL Options> Auto Redirect to Home Page> Yes (302 Found)
- System> Configuration> Web> Search Engine Optimization> Use Web Server Rewrites> Yes
Set header meta information
Meta information is another important part of Magento SEO. The information that is displayed in the browser window or tab of the browser is stored here. But search engines also use this information. To do this, adjust the following settings:
- System> Configuration> Design> Html header> Favicon graphic => Upload an icon here that is displayed in the browser tab (read also "Integrate your own favicon")
- System> Configuration> Design> Html Header> Standard Title => Name of your shop
- System> Configuration> Design> Html Header> Title Prefix / Title Suffix => If you want to put something before or after each title, enter it here, e.g .: -, ~, |,>
- System> Configuration> Design> Html header> Standard description => Enter the description of your shop here
- System> Configuration> Design> Html Header> Standard Keywords => Enter the keywords that apply to your shop, separated by commas
- System> Configuration> Design> Html Header> Standard Robots> INDEX, FOLLOW
Optimize CMS pages
You can also create headings, descriptions, keywords and URL identifiers for the CMS pages and thus optimize Magento SEO. To do this, configure the following fields and adjust them if necessary:
- CMS> Pages> Page XY> Page Information> Page Title
- CMS> Pages> Page XY> Page Information> URL Identifier
- CMS> Pages> Page XY> Metadata> Keywords
- CMS> Pages> Page XY> Metadata> Description
These fields should or must be entered and adapted for each CMS page in the Magento backend.
Prepare products for the search engines
Of course, one of the most important things to do is to optimize the product pages for search engines, because after all, as many products as possible should end up in first place on Google. To do this under
- Catalog> Manage Item> Product XY> Meta Information> Meta Title
- Catalog> Manage Item> Product XY> Meta Information> Meta Keywords
- Catalog> Manage Item> Product XY> Meta Information> Meta Description
fill in the fields. As with all meta fields, don't forget to include the keyword that best describes the product or page. What should generally be on a product page can be found under "Elements of a good product page".
Store categories with information
The categories can also be optimized and are an important source of traffic. The SEO settings can be found under:
- Catalog> Manage Categories> Click Category XY> Page Title
- Catalog> Manage Categories> Click Category XY> Meta Keywords
- Catalog> Manage Categories> Click Category XY> Meta Description
Magento allows you to add the name of categories to the path for product URLs. Since Magento doesn't support this functionality very well - there are problems with duplicate content - it is a good idea to disable this. To do this, go below
- System> Configuration> Catalog> Search Engine Optimization> Use Category Path for Item URLs> No.
Configure images and media with SEO information
Images and other media files are also important for Magento SEO. So you can specify an alternative text that will be displayed if an image cannot be loaded. In addition, descriptive alt tags help screen reader users, who can then get a good idea of what the picture represents. To do this under:
- Catalog> Manage Item> Product XY> Images> Image XY> Description
fill in the field. This information is used for the alt and title tags.
In addition, it is sufficient to save the image in twice the size than it is output. For example, it is sufficient to upload an image that is output with 600 x 600 pixels in 1200 x 1200 pixels (so that it can also be displayed sharply for retina displays). In addition to the size, the file size itself can also be optimized without the image appearing pixelated. For this you can use tools such as tinypng.com, which I use myself and can only recommend.
Create XML sitemaps
XML sitemaps are an easy way to let search engines know what URL your content is at. XML sitemaps do not help with search engine ranking, but they can help you get indexed faster. You can create an XML sitemap manually by going to
- Catalog> Google Sitemap> Add Sitemap> select a filename, path and store view, then click “Save and Create”.
You can then just paste the following code in your robots.txt file to point the search engines to your sitemap.xml file:
If your pages, categories or products change, you will need to regenerate the XML sitemap.
You can read more information about the sitemaps and how they can be set up in search engines here:
Don't neglect the loading speed
One aspect that is increasingly coming into focus is the loading speed of the pages. Google includes this SEO aspect in the calculation of the positioning. That is why you should use all of the on-board tools that Magento has built in: cache management.
Under System> Cache Management, all caches should be set to Status: activated.
Set internal links
Your pages and products should be linked internally across your shop. For example, from text pages if there are suitable links on category pages or product pages. But also the other way around, if you have guessing pages or something similar.
Use Magento SEO plugin
There are many Magento SEO plugins on the Magento Marketplace that want to make the correct and quick configuration easier. I took a closer look at a selection and found that there is no free option.
SEO Suite Ultimate from Mageworx
The SEO Suite Ultimate Extension is an all-in-one solution that contains everything you need for an effective on-page SEO strategy to climb up in the search results. It offers you 20 templates for metadata optimization, SEO tools for optimizing categories, product reviews and multi-layered navigation pages. In addition, the SEO extension helps in solving duplicate content problems, improves internal / external cross-linking and creates redirects (including custom ones) for deleted products. You will also receive comprehensive SEO reports to keep track of the effectiveness of the actions taken. All of these features cost $ 249.
For the installation it is necessary to install the free MageWorx All extension beforehand. The SEO Suite Ultimate Extension is compatible with Magento CE: 1.6 1.6.1 184.108.40.206 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2 1.9.3
and Magento EE: 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11 1.10 1.11 1.11.1 1.12 1.13 1.13.1 1.14 1.14.1 1.14.2 1.14.3.
SEO Suite Ultimate in the Marketplace
Ultimate SEO Suite from Aheadworks
The Ultimate SEO Suite extension will automatically scan your shop and add canonical URLs to the head of the product pages, sitemap and Google sitemap. If your website has similar or even identical content that can be accessed through multiple URLs, it can seriously affect your website's ranking. To avoid such unwanted problems, use the Ultimate SEO Suite extension which adds canonical links to the header of each product page. The SEO measures of the Ultimate SEO Suite cost $ 159.
For the installation it is necessary to install the free Aw All Service extension beforehand. The Ultimate SEO Suite is compatible with Magento CE: 18.104.22.168, 1.4.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.6.1, 22.214.171.124, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8.1, 1.9, 1.9.1, 1.9.2
and Magento EE: 1.12, 1.13, 1.13.1, 1.14, 1.14.1, 1.14.2.
Ultimate SEO Suite in the Marketplace
Appjetty's SEO Hub
You can update all meta data automatically with the SEO Hub. It allows you to add all of your shop meta tags (meta titles, meta descriptions, meta keywords, etc) and use custom SEO templates for all of your products, categories, blogs and CMS pages. With these templates you can manage meta tags, description, short description and URL keys with various rule-based attributes. You can apply these templates for all products at once or for selected products as required. You can also easily automate the template adaptation process with a cron job. The meta-adjustments cost $ 69.
The SEO Hub is compatible with Magento CE: 1.4, 126.96.36.199, 1.4.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.6.1, 188.8.131.52, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8.1, 1.9, 1.9.1, 1.9.2
SEO Hub in the Marketplace
Additional helpful pages
SebastianI am interested in eCommerce topics, especially in connection with the Magento Commerce shop system and everything to do with web development and the associated possibilities.
- When did Sasuke wake his Mangekyo Sharingan?
- How do you synchronize film and sound
- How do I stop envying new parents
- How is NIFT Chennai
- What does a helicopter carrier need
- Tesla does more than cars
- How does drinking alcohol keep the body warm?
- Are you agnostic What influenced your choice
- Can I pluck my white hair
- Why is grammar important in business life
- How do google phones work
- Who is better Barney or Chandler Bing
- Why not consider sport an art
- How do books help with character formation
- Did Dooku ever personally kill a Jedi
- Why is the music of the 60s so terrible
- Is sadism on the rise
- Where can I be a medical tourist
- What is sales strategy
- Why is my Honeywell thermostat not working
- What does blues mean to you
- How do I build a bitcoin gateway
- Can someone clearly explain how lightning occurs
- Why was Shaggy locked up
- The Magyars were related to the Huns
- Payments boost a credit score
- What are the places that were built by extraterrestrials
- What are substitutes for granulated sugar
- Am I a soul or a body?
- Are nucleoli present in prokaryotic cells
- What is tajweed in Islam
- Flattening an image decreases the quality
- What do people think of schizophrenic parents?