Granite is radioactive How dangerous that is
Is Granite Radioactive?
Have you ever heard that granite can supposedly be radioactive? What is it about this story? Is granite really weakly radioactive, or is it just a modern fairy tale?
Amazingly, basically everything around us is radioactive. This radioactivity is called natural radioactivity. Even the human body itself is radioactive. Each of us produces an average endogenous radioactivity of around 8000 watercolors. This means that around 8,000 atoms decay every second in an average human body.
Natural radioactivity is created on the one hand by radioactive radiation that falls from space on the earth (so-called cosmic radiation). On the other hand, it arises from the slightest traces of uranium, which can be detected in almost all of the materials around us.
Radioactivity in living areas
The radiation is measured in micro-Sievert per year (mSv / a). The natural radioactivity 0.8 mSv / a is made up of 0.3 mSv / a cosmic radiation and 0.5 mSv / a terrestrial ambient radiation.
In the home, the natural radioactivity caused by uranium accumulates mainly in the walls of the house and in the furniture. In addition, the air is enriched with the noble gas radon, which is also radioactive. However, all this radioactivity is in a range well below the limit values that are dangerous for humans.
And the radioactivity of granite?
Like all other materials - and even the human body itself - granite contains traces of uranium. Granite and other natural stones of volcanic origin contain between 0.5 to 4.0 micrograms (µg) of uranium per gram. Other building materials, materials or the soil contain similar amounts. Normal building sand, for example, contains an average of 3.1 µg uranium per gram.
The stories about the "dangerous" Radioactivity from granite you can confidently banish to the realm of fairy tales.
Links on the subject:
- Phytoplankton adds oxygen to the atmosphere
- What is your rating of Formula 1
- What consumer reports will I have
- Is really clearly politically neutral
- Which movie scene really spoke to you
- Should be applied retinol on the neck
- Why has Google Chrome lost its popularity
- What are you particularly interested in?
- Why do shirt buttons open?
- Recommendations on where to invest 1000
- Why is atheism better than Christianity
- What are the tests under blood test
- Why should I learn processing language
- Can diabetic retinopathy be treated
- What is the best hidden gem in France
- You can change your signature several times
- El Paso Texas is on Central Time
- Should I use Dropbox or iCloud?
- What's your breast shape butt shape
- What is Sodium Carbonate Anhydrous
- Is Pharrell Williams half Filipino
- Why does Fox News show Democratic candidates
- Graduates of psychology can apply for data science
- What is a squad
- Have you ever cursed god
- When will Suits Season 7 be released?
- How do I identify fake currencies
- What cures vibramycin
- What is the most common subatomic particle
- Will India need time to develop?
- Hindi is India's national language
- Can Sweatcoins be converted to PayPal?
- Which country has the most CCTV